small woodworking stool ideas or plans

Hi,

I'm a weekend woodworker and I'm looking to build a portable bench or stool that I could attach a vice or mitre box too. Currently I use a Rubbermaid step-stool & toolbox combo as my 'in the house' tool box (the garage is detached and unheated). The problem is when I'm doing work that needs to be clamped I'm stuck with putting my foot on the piece and working awkwardly and dangerously.

What I'd like is something that I could use when I'm doing trim work - quarter round, wainscotting etc. Something where I could attach a mitre box to, or clamp the piece to if I need to do a long rip cut.

And something to sit on so it can't be too high.

Rough dimensions would be around 30Lx12Wx18H ish...

It can't be too rough looking, I'll likely have to store it in plain view, so I may go with a reversible top (good side & working side).

FWIW I liked the bench that was featured on the last Lee Valley supplement but it doesn't meet my needs. I guess I liked more of the idea of it, than the actual piece itself.

Any plans, ideas or pictures? Pitfalls? Wish I had done this experiences?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
bear

Sounds like you could use one of those Black & Decker Workmate portable benches. I have one I got at a yard sale for $20 and use it all the time out of the shop/garage.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

You might try

They've got a bunch of listings for free plans, maybe you'll find something there.

Reply to
devnull50

I was thinking the same thing. Scott Landis (who literally wrote the book on benches) devoted a hole chapter of his book to the workmate. Mine finally died after at least 15 years of hard service, but I found it made a great standing platform for high ceiling work.

The integrated vise would work well for holding a miter box.

If that doesn't meet you needs maybe looking at workmates or their clones could serve as an idea generator for you.

-Steve

Reply to
C & S