Single fluted straight router bits?

I bought a lot of new router bits. Included were 3 Amana straight single flute bits.

I've never seen a single flute before. Is there some purpose to it, other than cost reduction?

Reply to
toller

Often used in automated systems where speed of cut is more important than finish.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In solid surface fabrication, it's the bit of choice for doing cook-top and sink cut-outs. The single flute throws the waste away nice and quick without heat build-up. Duane is right; the finish isn't great.

Reply to
Robatoy

The single flute bits are invaluable for deep cuts where clogging is an issue. Also useful in resinous woods because very little cutting surface touches the material. Similarly, poor performance in hardwoods because the cutter is so small. Another issue is that if the cutter becomes damaged, it will show because there will be nothing to even out the problem.

Reply to
woodworker88

Well that makes sense; I got them the same place I bought corian scraps. So now I have some bits to work the corian!

Reply to
toller

Just curious, were these in with the bosch ones you are selling?

Reply to
woodworker88

Yup, got 3 extra if you are interested. I will save one for my new corian router table.

Reply to
toller