Router Bits: Single Flute vs Double Flute

What is the performance and or application difference between router straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff bits that do the same thing?

Reply to
joe2

  1. single flute cuts rougher but heat up less.

  1. single flute bits are usually plunge bits

Reply to
dadiOH

I asked the same question after buying some single flute at an auction. I was told they were for corian, which makes sense since I bought some corian at the same auction.

Reply to
Toller

Oddly the single flute bit offers better performance than the 2 flute bit.

Per the Amana tool site, Single flute allows for faster feed rates, greater chip clearance and maximum stock removal.

Leon

A single flute cutter can be stiffer if the grinding design permits. Resistance to deflection is a good property. Most 2 flute cutters exist because of dynamics. A single flute OGee, e.g. will blow itself up at

25,000RPM. Single flute bits have balance problems and are rarely found on cutters with diameters much > than the shank.
(Routers)
Reply to
pat

...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

nailshooter41

Nope.

Reply to
dadiOH

| What is the performance and or application difference between router | straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff | bits that do the same thing?

A single flute on a straight bit allows retention of more "meat" on the shank - resulting in a stronger bit with less deflection.

A single-flute bit requires a slower feed and/or higher spindle speed.

More flutes permit higher feed rates and/or lower spindle speed. When I have a choice I opt for three flutes, with two flutes as my second choice. I've found that more flutes produces a smoother cut, perhaps because with the spiral cutters I use, one of the flutes is always bearing against the side of the cut.

When cutting with a V-bit, three flutes allows "parking" the bit briefly without enlarging the cut at the parking spot.

The bits may be intended to produce the same-shaped cut but their behavior is different. Choose the bit that provides the behavior characteristic(s) you deem most important for the job you're doing.

Morris Dovey

Thanks to everyone for your input. Surprising how many folks selling router bits weren?t able to answer that question.

Reply to
joe2