Simple drawer glides - is this a bad design?

I don't think replacing plugs includes wires.

(post not snipped, but nothing new added to the information Lew included below)

Reply to
Bill

On Tue, 27 May 2014 23:45:07 -0500, Leon

Astute observation.

Reply to
none

Of course they checked it. "Yep, its full." I wonder if they even know how to check for freezing point.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

From 1984 to 2010, NUMMI (New United Motors Manufacturing Inc., a joint venture between Toyota and GM) built Nova's, Prizm's, Hilux, Voltz (a version of the Pontiac Vibe), Tacomas, and the Corolla in California. GM pulled out when it went bankrupt in 2009 and Toyota closed the plant the next year.

The plant is now cranking out Tesla Model S.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That's better but I'd still make them significantly wider than you show.

I think you'll be happier with either Birch or Oak ply. Both are available at the Borg for not that much more than sanded ply. The veneer is exceedingly thin, so watch the sanding.

Reply to
krw

Thanx for the timely advice buddy!!

Reply to
Waterloo Structures

Same concept, but even simpler, quicker and easier way to insure a drawer pulls out only as far as you want it to:

To pull the drawer all the way out, simply reach in and turn the drawer stop a quarter turn.

Reply to
Swingman

On Monday, May 26, 2014 10:48:56 AM UTC-5, Edward A. Falk wrote

"... - is this a bad design?"

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but the wording caught my sense for p erspective and, sometimes, I sense some younger/novice woodworkers (as myse lf) are "influenced", a bit, with that kind of wording. And this idea appl ies to other fields of subject matter.

Let's not say "bad design". That "negative" connotation is misleading and kinna sets the stage, possibly, for an incorrect mindset. Lets say "improv ed design". A log, to roll stones on, to make pyramids, is essentially a wheel and a wheel is a great design. Sometimes, I ask the kids "What is th e best way to cut this board: a hand saw, a circular saw or a table saw?", in order to get them to think, aiming for a positive mindset. Any of the s aws will cut the board, but one might make for a better "technique", than a nother. There is no "bad" saw.

With the selection of products, suggested by others, and including your lev el of skills, try to improve on your "bad design" concept by selecting thos e products that make for the best results, for your drawers, and try an adv anced woodworking technique (skill), for yourself, if applicable.

That "bad whatever" kinna strikes me as incorrect or negative. I've caught myself "practicing" that negativeness, labeling, at times, also. I dislik e it, when I see that "bad" connotation, or something similar, within mysel f. Your trying something new or advanced is a positive.

Think positive!

Okay, Sorry for the "rant". I'm probably a bit out of line, but I wondered if there was a hint of that mindset in your planning, etc. I hope I'm wro ng.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Listen to her. As long as you're going that far, I'd add full-extension slides on the requirements lest. Add soft-closing under-mount to the pile and SWMBO will be very happy indeed.

Reply to
krw

PMBI from a newbie, but how did you do those drawings? Is it simply MS Paint, or is there a program that specially does projects like this?

Reply to
Pringles CheezUms

Google "SketchUp"

Reply to
dadiOH

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:

Bill

I think he was indicating to Google "Sketchup". ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

I'm still running version 8. Has Trimble kept the software pretty much the same, or gone and made big (negative) changes?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Most changes by Trimble have been 'under-the-hood' and barely noticeable as far as 3D modeling/drawing capability from previous versions.

I have noticed an increased sensitivity to axis/plane issues, especially with imported files (.dwg) that may contain "Layer" information in the imported file.

But that is not necessarily a bad thing once you realize that this is due to an increased, more faithful reproduction of the imported original into SketchUp, and that "layers" are handled differently in CAD vs 3D modeling.

What you make on the bananas, you lose on the grapes...

Reply to
Swingman

I'm still running version 8 too (fear of upgrading). And I've backed up the installation file.

Reply to
Bill

Pretty much the same however there are a couple of extra icons, the one that comes to mind is the arc icon/pie icon. Plugins are now handled differently and some of the older non approved plugins no longer work. I have not had too much of an issue with that as there are still a load to choose from if the one you had no longer works.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks everyone. Sketchup Make is the free version. Is sketchup v8 better? Would there be advantages to move over to v8? (if possible)

Reply to
Pringles CheezUms

Better than v5, v6, v7? Most likely. But Sketchup 8 is also free if it is still available.

Better than v2013 or v2104, not from my experience.

FWIW Sketchup Make is simply the new name for the free version. Sketchup has had a free version since IIRC V4. Unless you are a pro there is no reason to move to the "pro" version.

Reply to
Leon

Don't fear upgrading, the install for later versions are separate. You can have multiple versions installed on your computer. Just be aware that any drawings that are made from an earlier version and opened/modified under a later version should be saved with a unique name. Older files saved under later versions will no longer be able to be opened with an earlier version.

Reply to
Leon