Silly little question about power tool storage

At first, I just put the tools into a little cupboard I have, but over the years I've collected a shipload of tools..

they're everywhere... and it's a royal pain!!

Thing is, I don't want to put them so out of reach I can't get them, but I don't want them in the way..

So what to do?

I was thinking of either drawers under and around my saw and put them in there, or cupboards up over the saw... Maybe the drawers would be better since I could dump out all the accessorys in the plastic carry cases and hide them in the garage... Man I hate those things!

Any of you guys have a neat solution?

Also, where can I put all those chargers and batteries... it would be nice to have them all plugged in!

4 - battery drills 3 - normal drills 1 - router 1 - biscuit joiner 1 - circle zip cutter 1 - belt sander 2 - finishing sanders 1 - circular saw 1 - reciprocating saw 1 - glue gun 2 - jig saws 1 - soldering gun

sheesh!

Reply to
Bob Flint

I just keep my favorite cordless drill in a drawer I made and the rest in the boxes they came in. I think a drawer is the easiest and cleanest - a lot of dust will collect in sensitive parts if you don't use them a lot.

I remember a link online to a little shelf that someone made to house all the chargers and hooked em to a power strip to turn em all on/off.

Bearing drawer rails are pretty easy to find and not that expensive, you can build the rest!

years I've collected a shipload of tools..

don't want them in the way..

there, or cupboards up over the saw... Maybe

the plastic carry cases and hide them in the

to have them all plugged in!

Reply to
Subw00er

When ya have a lotta tools and accessories, ya gotta set priorities. First, get everyone outta the house and move the tools into your favorite climate controlled room. This protects them from humidity, auto fumes, tiny creatures that love to chew on wires and nest in the drawers, etc., etc. Put up tons of shelving on the walls and build lots of drawers in your newly constructed workbench. (I took over the entire

2nd floor of my home and woe the poor misguided soul that dares to venture forth, including my husdand)

Then move the family into the garage after installing a humongus flat screen TV. They'll never notice the difference.....

PRIORITIES MY GOOD MAN, PRIORITIES.....

Irene

iquill

Ther answer is simple.... You must have a bigger shop!

years I've collected a shipload of tools..

don't want them in the way..

there, or cupboards up over the saw... Maybe

the plastic carry cases and hide them in the

to have them all plugged in!

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Irene, do you have a sister?

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Years ago my wife purchased a set of inexpensive Sears mechanics tool chests - rolling with base & top chest. Those things hold an amazing amount of tools. I have all my cordless tools & batteries, most of my corded tools, socket sets, all pliers, screwdrivers, electrical tools, tool bits, chisels... and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten is there. They don't say "Snap On", cost a gazillion dollars less, work just fine thankyouverymuch.

years I've collected a shipload of tools..

don't want them in the way..

there, or cupboards up over the saw... Maybe

the plastic carry cases and hide them in the

to have them all plugged in!

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

them all plugged in!

I bought a double door metal storage cabinet (like used for office supplies) at an auction for about $50.00 and keep them all in there - use one shelf for saws, one for sanders, one for pneumatic etc. and it's lockable. I keep chargers on the bench but I suppose you could run a power strip in the cabinet - only problem is, I don't have room.

Reply to
Tom

I made a shelf with several 1-2" holes in it for the drills. It's close to a power outlet and strip for all the chargers.

Zip cutters and jigsaws go into a similar shelf with appropriate holes for the blades.

Most other stuff goes onto other shelves or in drawers. The original storage cases, plastic or cardboard, are a PITA, and get slung up into the rafters, kept just in case I sell a tool oneday.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

"Wordless Workshop" used strips of carpet stapled 'twixt two panels. Made little padded hammocks. Space the hammocks to fit your tools. (Add a third vertical with hard shelves for your batteries...) ___ /__/| |U| | |U| | |U| | |U| | |U|/

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis