Should be shot...

It's been awful quiet here lately. Don't know if it's the summer thing and everybody is off doing something else, but the silence is deafening.

I should be shot for saying it, but even the political rhetoric would be a welcome change if only so people post a woodworking related message just to change the subject.

Tim, you're limited to TWO MESSAGES!!!

:)

Reply to
Upscale

OK,

There is a similar string in Sawmill Creek that I posted.

I have had issues with being able to saw to a line with my hand saws. I discovered that if I marked the cutline with a carmine red Col-Erase pencil, my cuts improved significantly. My lighting is fluorescent and I have an Ott lamp for illuminating the work.

Have you experienced anything like this?

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

It has been quiet. Perhaps others are in the same boat as me in that they haven't had much shop time lately. Did have a rush job for a coffin for the Boy Scout camp last week though... Today it was too hot and humid for yard work so I resumed working on a project that stalled at the end of March. I've got a couple projects that need a couple to three or four days to finish that I hope to complete by September. I also have charity auction items to make before October. So many things to do that I don't have time for my paying job... but glad to have one in these times!

On the up side, tomorrow I'm going to test assemble and run my recently acquired 36" bandsaw. We're going to test the bearing run out and lubrication on the wheel bearings (dial indicator and thermal temperature readings). The bearings "feel" OK but now is the time to do a real inspection before moving it out of the commercial motor/generator shop where we're doing the work. I'm doing this with an eye towards having it at my shop in the next few weeks.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

It's called old age.

Reply to
CW

Mine improved when I started knifing the line and placing a worklight kind of low so that it left a sharp shadow line in the score.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in news:gN5dm.190$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Interestingly, yes. I don't know why, but it seems like using a standard #2 pencil allows me to be more accurate in my woodworking marks and measurements than using a 0.5mm mechanical pencil. By lowering the precision, I've increased the accuracy.

Well, we'll see how well it's working out with my latest project... I've got about 90 pencil lines I've had to match up with the jig for cutting mortises. If everything works out, I'll have little trouble assembling the dog gate.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote

It seems to me that if a pencil line is made from a templet (eg scrbing the pins from dovetails or vice-versa), we need to saw to the outside of the line, hence as far as accuracy is concerned, the thickness is immaterial, though a thick line is easier to see.

If the line is a dimension line, we locate the centre of the pencil at the required mark, so we should saw to remove half the line. In this case a fairly thick line can be better since we can more easily see the remaining half of the line.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Damn recession is effecting everything, even the quantity of posts is down.

Actually, might be some truth to the statement because less pe> It's been awful quiet here lately. Don't know if it's the summer thing an= d

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com