Shopping upright band saw

I want to buy an upright band saw, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I can live with a gently used one. What would a complete stand alone stand up model with about a 12" throat cost? And what brands would I look for. I'd like to find a gently used American made, say 10-20 years old.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Where you located--I've a 10" 30+ yr-old Craftsman on a homebrew stand that is fine for what it is size-wise. I'd only be looking to move it because I've decided I really want to be able to resaw some sizable stuff and this doesn't have the capacity height-wise (altho w/ a suitable blade it'll do anything that can fit in it).

Reply to
dpb

"Steve B" wrote in news:jpom4k$u05$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Here's what I've got in my saw:

1 HP 14" saw: $350 Cool Blocks: $20 "Zero" Clearance insert $10-20? Riser Block (Powermatic, but fits Jet): $70 New tension knob & shaft (old one was messed up): $15 Lower brush wheel: $7

So you may be looking at around the $500 mark for 12" capacity and a few small upgrades. (The blades run around $15-30, but aren't included in the estimate. You'll probably want a new blade when you buy a saw.)

For comparison, a new Laguna costs around $1500 for something similarly equipped.

Bonus information: There's quite a bit to a bandsaw and its settings. It's worth buying a book or two on the subject. The two I have were written by Mark Duginske and Lonnie Bird. Just do an Amazon Search on the authors names and the books will come up.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

SW Utah.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Oh, yeah, I recall that now...used to service online coal analyzers at various mines/coal-fired plants there; particularly Huntington Station on Huntington River at end of canyon. It's about 30 mi or so SW of Price. Always arranged to have a weekend to play somewhere out there when went.

Anyway, too far from SW KS to be worth the shipping unless you have trouble locating anything else which seems as though would be highly unlikely if have at least a modicum of patience. :)

Reply to
dpb

Using Cedar City as reference, the closest I can find one is in Riverside, Ca. near LA, 6 hours away.

picture is distorted. Google the model to find a better pic.

You might can find one on Craigslist. Las Vegas has several on their list, but not sure these are what you're looking for.

see there is a military or other govt base just NW of Las Vegas. Keep an eye out on this auction site:
were 2 available in Las Vegas back in February:
?lot=226995&auction=G99W9QE3B6QLILKTT0OU1ON212R5SS&id=15690There's been several IRS (Industrial Recovery Services) sales in Nevada and Utah over the past year. Keep an eye out on that site, also.

And there's the AuctionZip website. There should be tools, at times, at local auctions near you. Use AuctionZip to locate them.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I would look for a Delta or Powermatic 14" .

I would "try" to find something in the 1960-1970 time frame. Most 14" band saws are a direct descendent of the Delta 28-200.

They started making these machines in 1930's.

There are NO parts that you can not currently buy for any of the 28-xxx machines that I have ever heard of.

They are readily available on CL or Ebay.

There are others but the 28-2XX remains the every day machine for a lot of shops.

I know a few guys on owwm.org who do nothing but collect (Delta) band saws.

I lean toward Delta because of the parts availability.

Reply to
Pat Barber