ShopFox DC...any opinions?

Hi Y'all, Am thinking seriously about a ShopFox dust collector. The 120v / 1.5hp model. I have a small basement workshop. Any opinions? TIA Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Hi Joe,

I have had this machine for about a year now. Works great for my 400sqft shop. Has all the suction I need for running two machines at once.

That said, I had a problem when it first arrived. The first motor was defective and blew a breaker every time I turned it on. They sent out a replacement motor immediately, but when it arrived, it was a 2 hp and not the 1.5 hp I needed, so they shipped out the correct motor the third try. Since then, not a single problem.

Their tech support was great to work with through the motor debacle. :-)

Gary

Reply to
Gary

My advice when comparing DCs is to look at CFM rather than HP.

will

Reply to
Will

I've looked at both, and price too obviously. Thanks, guys. Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

What about the Grizz 1029Z?

Reply to
Dave

I looked at the 1029Z. The Shop Fox is less expensive. Also, the seller (toolcorral.com) charges only $20 for shipping from NY to OH. How cool is that? Thanks, Dave. Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

I have the 2hp/1550cfm ShopFox and couldn't be happier. It REALLY sucks! I still use the 30micron bags, but with as far away from anything that I have it set up, it isn't a problem at all. No, I don't have a huge shop, just am able to put the DC on the other side of the basement stairs.

The only problem was a bad start capacitor that, among other things, fried the motor. A new motor was shipped to me the next day with no questions asked and the thing was sucking again in 3 days. Damned good service, if you ask me.

Luck

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

Got the 2 HP Shop Fox DC from Toolcorral about 8 months ago and it works well. No mechanical problems to date and all fit together as intended. While the standard bags work fine with saw dust and wood chips, they appear a little too porous when collecting the fine dust produced with solid surface (Corian) materials. Perhaps, I need a finer mesh bag for this purpose.

Reply to
TEF