Shop expansion decision

I didn't consider this as one of the options because in the new section will be a drive in door, 9' or 10' wide. Don't want to deal with what would be necessary to incorporate that into a below grade monolithic slab. Would at least have to pour a ramp down from the curbwall.

My flooding problems with Katrina occurred with equipment that was stored in Biloxi, MS. This shop is in Tupelo, MS, so I'm not really worried about the hurricane tidal impact, just normal rains, which can be heavy and flooding.

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going with the step up and potentially raising the existing floor if the step bothers me too much. This is also probably the least cost option.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I would try very hard to avoid a step into the shop. I had to make that decision when I built mine and have not regretted keeping it the same level as the garage - machines, my mill etc can be rolled in and out. I would also try very hard to make sure the ceiling is at least

8-1/2 feet high (more is better) so that you can work with 8' without having to do strange things. Also, consider putting wall outlets 4-1/2 feet up from the floor so you can lean sheets of "stuff" against the walls and still get to the outlets.

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields