shelf span

The configuration of my garage is such that I need to place a series of 2X6 or 2X8 in the corner of two walls.I had planned to make this corner " shelf" go out as far as possible.How much can I put on it when the span of this pine board is 4 feet?

Hank

Reply to
Henry B.

If you put a hardwood stiffener under the shelf you can put bags of concrete on it. I'm doing it on my shed.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Not sure I'm picturing the situation right. Are you planning to install a

4' long pine shelf, supported only at the ends? If so, the following might be useful to you, indirectly:

Jim Wilson

It sounds like your going to make the 'shelves' out of the 2x6 and/or 2x8. If this is the case I would think 200-300 lbs. without any problem.

ELAhrens

Reply to
ELAhrens

I'm not sure that's what he's after either, but if so, and the load is relatively uniform across the shelf, it would be better to support the shelf at the outer quarter points - that is, supports should be two feet apart, one foot from either end. This will maximize strength and minimize deflections.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly