sharpening center advise

Greetings! I am looking at getting a sharpening set up as dull tools are way too plentiful here. I have compared water / oil stone sets and am now wondering about sharpening centers (ie: motor driven ) My question for you is what systems seem too work well? I have heard good things about the worksharp3000, but am also interested in delta's 23-710 unit. I appreciate any input! Thanks.

Reply to
<someone

e way too plentiful here. I have compared water / oil stone sets and am now = wondering about sharpening centers (ie: motor driven )

things about the worksharp3000, but am also interested in delta's 23-710 uni= t.

For what it is worth, I really like the worksharp 3000, it is great at sharpening, chisels, plane blades and such. It does not do a good job on knives ot planner blades. Dont know much about the delta unit.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

The 23-710 is not a good choice. I gave one away to get it out of my shop. Read the article in the current Fine Woodworking mag. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I have been pleased with my Tormek system. Sharp edges were hit and miss for me prior to the Tormek. I'll be ordering the jointer planer jig soon. I also sharpen all our kitchen knives and scissors with ease. The first time I washed dishes after sharpening our kitchen knives I brushed against a knife edge and cut myself! I had never had a knife so sharp.

I am a handyman by trade and the cost of a Tormek was a huge investment for me. I talked to the manager at my local Woodcraft store and he said he would refund my money if I was not satisfied. That was 6 years ago and I still have it.

cm

Reply to
CM

in article 3JzOj.710$XI1.157@edtnps91, snipped-for-privacy@somedomain.com.invalid at snipped-for-privacy@somedomain.com.invalid wrote on 4/19/08 9:34 PM:

Preface:

I've got and use india and arkansas stones, japanese waterstones, grinder with Norton wheels and Wolverine Jig, Tormek with most of the jigs and shaped leather strop, Jool Tool and WorkSharp 3000 - oh - and a 1" belt sander sharpener - and slip stones. Not one does EVERYTHING and there are things none do well enough - for me - like planer/joiner knives. (go here to see the sharpening station cabinet for all the sharpening crap I've accumulated)

For things with straight, single bevel cutting edges - up to 2" wide, which covers most handplane irons, bench chisels, butt chisels, turning gouges and chisels and all outside radius beveled carving chisels and gouges - I'd recomend the WorkSharp 3000 - with a couple of extra slotted wheels and an extra glass plate, along with extra abbrassives for each.

No water and slurry to deal with. Seldom if ever any flying sparks Fast enough to regrind a chipped bevel on a 2" wide plane iron but slow enough to give you time to check how you're doing BEFORE you've ground 1/8" off your tool - or got a nice skew edge going. Almost no risk of overheating the tool. For bevels 20 to 35 degrees it's a no brainer. Set the angle slide the tool into the holder, tighten the fence and push - the machine does the rest. For sharpening curved edge turning and carving tools work from underneath the slotted wheels. Takes a little bit of practice - black felt tip the bevel - grind off the "black" (you can see through the spinning slotted wheel). If you have even decent eye hand coordination you'll be able to do it in a few minutes - 15 minutes max. Relatively small footprint - though not as small as the JoolTool.

Jigs to use on the Bar Tool Rest are finally starting to come out, though you CAN make your own out of ply and some glue

Here's more I put together on the WorkSharp. You can back up to the all text menu and find the link to info I did about the JoolTool

Hope this helps.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Charlie:

DAGS didn't find me any jigs for the WS3000. Do you have a reference?

BTW, I agree that it is a quick clean way to get nice sharp edges on chisels and plane irons. I've not been lucky sharpening knives on it tho'.

Regards.

Reply to
Tom B