Sharpening a Japanese handsaw

Anyone know of a commercial saw sharpening shop that sharpens japanese handsaws? MA location preferred.

Reply to
Jim Conlin

The less expensive Japanese handsaws can't be sharpened. They have impact hardened teeth. That's why they make them with replaceable blades.

Sorry, but I don't know of anyone who does sharpen the ones that can be sharpened. Woodcraft does sell a file for sharpening Japanese handsaws, if you want to try it yourself.

David

remove the key to email me.

Reply to
J Pagona aka Y.B.

Do not know about MA, but you should be able to send it to

for resharpening. They also sell feather files if you want to try to sharpen it yourself.

Dmitri

Reply to
Dmitri

Try

Harrelson Stanley should be able to point you in the right direction. It's much harder sharpening a Japanese saw.

Reply to
DarylRos

To give you an idea how rare this is, Japan Woodworker had someone who did it local in Alameda, Kaleeforneea. I don't know why he's not doing it anymore, but the last time I was there, they said the now send the saws back to Japan for sharpening.

Sharpening the rip teeth wouldn't be too bad, but you don't want to start sharpening Japanese crosscut teeth unless you know what you are doing. Very complex.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund