Share your accidents and close-calls so others can learn from them?

How do you find that to work for you? I've found my face shield is easily scratched (polycarbonate) and gets dusty very easily. So using it is rather a nuisance, is there any way to reduce that?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I didn't look, thanks for the warning. It's good to hear he's OK! Lawnmowers can do ugly things.

Reply to
B A R R Y

The pic is not that bad. No foot in the pic, just a sneaker and sock. My Golden Retriever, as a pup, did more damage to one of my shoes than that mower. :-)

Reply to
willshak

With a little luck, the wisdom he got from that will help him reach his

17th birthday (and many more).
Reply to
Roy Smith

I've seem most of the ones listed but there is one I didn't notice.

I was death on my men laying a Skil saw down on the guard. To start with, you can spring the guard that way but I once saw a man lay it down on the guard and the guard was stuck UP. It came right across the top of his shoe. He was lucky that the blade was stopping and it didn't get through the shoe.

Reply to
Glenn

I've got three - all the results of flat out ignorance.

The first involved a bandsaw - and a bandsaw blade with what I NOW know was a bad weld. Though I'd heard the tic-tic-tic of the bad weld as it passed the blade guides, I lacked the knowledge to interpret what that sound meant. When the band's weld failed the resulting noise as it accordianed into the blade quard stopped my ability to breath and I think it stopped my heart - for several moments. The thought of what would've happened if the broken band hadn't been constrained in the blade guard causes shudders.

The second involved a 12" sliding compound miter saw. I had a piece of wood about 8" wide and maybe 6" long. I needed it to be a 6" square. I hadn't acquired a table saw yet and couldn't figure out how to hold the stock so I could rip it to the desired width with a handheld circular saw. SO - I pressed the 8" width against the SCMS fence, and holding it "firmly" with my left hand, tried to cut 2" of the width of the part. BIG Mistake! A "moments diagram" would have shown me that the force I was applying with my left hand 4" from the fulcrum of an 6 inch lever and the force applied by a 1 hp, 12" diameter circular saw turning at maybe

6-8000 rpms at 2" from the fulcrum (2" of the part was passed the SCMS's fence) was no where near the same. The saw won, I somehow didn't break my thumb, or fingers, or wrist - and I miraculously was not struck by either flying piece of wood - nor did any part of me contact any of the spinning pieces of sharp carbide. The memory of that really stupid move causes both a shudder AND rates up there as a 9 on The Pucker Scale.

The third easily avoidable Dumb Move involved a tight mortise and tenon joint. A blow to the head can actually cause you to see stars.

Central has an Accident Survey page worth exploring
here's some stuff I put together on "kickback" which may save someone some grief

charlieb

...[snip]...

Is there a proper height rule-of-thumb for hand-held circular saws? I've often wondered what was optimal, safe, or both.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Best dogs ever. Will love you to death. Both sides of our family have had them from way before they were popular. Lots of great stories. But them razor puppy teeth......they're like a buck saw on anything they happen across...

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I've trained myself to detect when I'm about to apply (and believe) the logic that says "just one more and then I'll go to bed" means "it's the last one and therefore it can't hurt me".

This applies to motorcycling, sawing, climbing the ladder, etc., etc...

I've heard that professional skiers watch for this reasoning as well.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I always do that, and always feel funny about it.

The guys who built my deck had removed all the blade guards, because apparently they felt they got in the way. So they were regularly flipping them upside-down on the deck, spinning teeth free to hit anything.

Also, not one eye goggle. Not one mask (the holding structure was PT).

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

You lay it on it's side. Re: of course to the mod 77.

Reply to
Glenn

Reply to
Dennis

As in never higher than your shoulders?

Reply to
PeterD

I laughed when I read that one...

A few years ago I was getting into my truck, a good climb up. Winter, lot's of ice, and my legs shot out from under me, and went under the truck, and down I went, seemingly head first.

My head hit the ice, and I *heard* the most incredible 'boing' sound ever. I never knew the skull was resonate until that day, but you saw stars--I heard bells ringing.

Funny thing was that I didn't even get a headache, but it sure scared the living daylights out of me--I figured I'd fractured my skull. I'm now much more careful about getting in and out of the truck too.

Reply to
PeterD

on 8/10/2007 5:11 PM Thomas G. Marshall said the following:

...and except for the hair. Sheds 24/7/365. Vacuum one day and have little tumbleweeds in the corners next day. We have a central vacuum and the app. 25 gallon can gets filled to the top with hair every couple of months. Enough to build another dog.

Reply to
willshak

I've got a golden retriever/yellow lab cross..... 13 year old yellow puppy. As a 1 year old puppy, he ate every peice of vinyl he could touch..... spa covers (3, not the styrofoam, just the vinyl cover, but ALL of it), the fill spout on my waterbed matress.... whatever. Not to mention my daugters' barbies, socks and panties. AND an entire backyard of redwood bender board. I don't mean "chewed up", I mean "ATE". And left the evidence behind for me to pick up later.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

My most scary accident invloved TS kickback. I have a small shop, and to rip anything over about 16" long I have to open the garage door (an aluminum roll-up). I was working late, and went to trim a square piece of 3/4" plywood that was about 14 X 16 inches. What I hadn't accounted for was the vertical aluminum channel on the garage door, which the plywood encounted, stopping the cut. Next thing I knew, the plywood was gone, and my hands were holding air over my TS. The blade had thown the board back at me spinning like a Frisbee, hitting me in the stomach and side. Luckily, the spin was sympathetic, so it rolled off me and continued into a stack of plastic totes, totally demolishing them. A bruise on my belly, and a wake up call.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Mine involves 3 seperate incidents. Did I learn from them, yes and no.

The first is when I was using a RAS to rip some wood. I know, I know shouldn't have done it, but it was that or a hand saw. Anyways, the wood I was ripping grabbed and sucked my finger in with it. It left a nice little dent in my right index finger that the ER could only clean up. Leason learned: Don't use the RAS to rip lumber.

The next one comes from the "why kids shouldn't be allowed in the shop unless they have warning lights and 120db sirens on" department. One nice winter afternoon, I was tuning up my jointer. I had just finished setting blade height and decided to run a test piece through. I didn't hear the door open when my daughter decided to come in. I started the jointer and began to run the piece through when I hear a big loud "BOO". Startled, My hand tries to reach for the on off switch but instead comes in contact with the spining blades. I get it shut off and look at my finger expecting to see it mangled. I was surprised that I didn't even have a scratch. Leason learned: Lock the doors while using power tools.

The last is from the "you should practice with the machine off" department. I finally got a new table saw. I spent the better part of the day putting it together and came time for the first cut. I practiced using the miter guage and sliding it because the table was shorter than what I was used to. I turned the saw on and instead of doing it the way I practiced, I decided to freehand it. Well I lost the hand position to blade spatial relationship and I felt the nick in my finger. Needless to say I knew there wasn't anything the ER could do. Took 2 weeks before I used the TS again. Leason learned: Alcohol, power tools, and a late night don't mix.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

Reply to