Semi OT - Dremel Moto-Saw

This is NOT my listing by the way, it's just the first link I found with a picture of one of these.

There's an ad for these on the back of one of my magazines, the June 1948 issue of Popular Home Craft, 35 cents, 40 cants in Canada. That would have put me right at 7 1/2, and I would have killed for one of them.

The saw is listed at $5.85, complete (with 3 saw blades), POSTPAID. Blades were 50 cents a dozen. You could even send $2.00 part payment, and the postman the balance, plus postage, on C.O.D. delivery. Plus money back after 10 days if not delighted.

They say boys from 8 to 80 (girls too) have fun with them. Now how many parents today would trust an 8 yo with one f those. And, if they did, the second the kid got nicked by the blade, they'd probably be crying lawsuit. Gods above, I would have absolutely loved to have one. But back in those days, with many families, mine included, $5.85 was some big bucks, not to be spent on things like that. Besides, I never even heard of one until many years later. If by some wild whim of fate had allowed me to own one, I'd have gotten a safety talk that would have gone something like this, "Be careful with that thing, and don't expect another if you break it". And, if by some chance I did suffer a wound with it, I'd hear something like, "Well, serves you right for playing around". But you can bet I'd ever cut myself with it again Too bad more parents don't have attitudes like that today.

I could actually use one of these things at times, and they frequently show up on eBay for less then $10, postage extra. But unless I find one at a yard sale or flea market, I'll probably live life without one.

I do like the part of the ad that says, "Safe as a hand saw"; I've nicked myself plenty of times with hand saws.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Yah, seen them on ebay and I've got a foam cutter thingy that looks just like it except for the motor hanging right out there.

My thing was mid 50s Shopsmiths, Sent away for the Literature from Mechanix Illustrated. Salesman showed up at the door and my mother showed him the road. I finally bought one when I was nearing 50. Wasn't nearly as good as I expected.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sun, May 27, 2007, 4:47am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Lobby=A0Dosser) doth say: My thing was mid 50s Shopsmiths, Sent away for the Literature from Mechanix Illustrated. Salesman showed up at the door and my mother showed him the road. I finally bought one when I was nearing 50. Wasn't nearly as good as I expected.

Not sure when I firtst heard about Shopsmith, but it sure wasn't in te '50s. Later, when I finally got my shop, I'd seen demos and tought one would work well in my small shop, and found a great deal on a used one. Well, it did work well. Especially after it was painted yellow. But it got to be a real PITA to change back and forth, especially after I figured how to make space for separate tools. So sold it for a slight profit. Good machine tho, and if 'I'd had less space might well still have it. Grrreat horizontal drill press.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

I've got one of those myself - it's been in my dad's tool chest in storage since he died in 1974. By purest coincidence, just a month or so ago I picked it up and brought it over to my own shop just to hang on the wall. It's a really nifty little gadget. Mine's complete, works just fine, and had along with it an unopened package of a dozen replacement blades. I doubt if I'll ever actually cut any wood with it, but I just like to look at it and think about my dad using it.

Tom Dacon

> This is NOT my listing by the way, it's just the first link I found

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Had one and it did not live up to the hype. If I still had it, might be an antique!

Stinky

ps not having one is not that big-a-deal!

Reply to
apn100174043