Semi OT: "Designer" Toolbelts

I had no idea it was possible to spend $250+ US on a toolbelt. Mine was on sale at the BORG for about $50 and makes me look like a real carpenter.

Still, they do look nice.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

What a mess!

Absolutely nothing tells me these things are worth the extra bucks over other belts: the fact that they can be overlaoded doesn't make them different, IMO.

$260!

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Autographed by Norm, perchance?

Reply to
Swingman

I did a remodel job for a client some years ago that he was going to assist on to save $$. He showed up with a brand new, Sears Craftsman, "Bob Vila Autographed" tool belt. Dang, did we laugh at him:) IIRC, he wasn't much help either hehe.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

$250??? I carve and make leather products. Maybe I should look into some custom made tool belts for Canadian craftsmen. Think they'd be gullible enough?

Reply to
Upscale

I dunno if gullible is the word, but it might be worth trying. Up until recently, all top tool belts were leather or partly leather. Horsehide and Cordura might make a good combination: make the Cordura parts snap off for replacement, with a fancy belt, maybe.

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Maybe I should look into it. Haven't had any experience with Cordura before, but the Dupont website shows it to be an artificial cloth like material. It would be cheaper than leather but handle differently than what I'm used to with leather.

Reply to
Upscale

Upscale responds:

Probably a lot different to handle. I've tried carving leather. Not my thing. Cordura is the stuff used in luggage, camera bags, similar items. Different weights, of course, but should be easily sewable on any industrial machine, and some of the better non-pro types. Kind of like a chemically enhanced canvas, I guess.

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Thanks for the link -- another great example to show my directs on "how not to design a website"... :)

Reply to
mttt

It should be quite a bit lighter than leather and probably not as prone to stretching. I like your suggestion of removable, addable options. Maybe the part that goes around the waist being constructed out of something like Cordura and the addable options constructed out of leather. Just another idea to work on when I find the time.

Reply to
Upscale

I really liked the link to "demensions". You would think a company selling to the public would invest a few moments in a spell checker.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

They *must* come with all the tools already stuffed in the belt. I have a Cordura (sp?) two-pouch rig that I bought at the Borg for $70, I think, and it looks even more sturdy than the one on that site. The tools themselves, however, don't look like they would last too long on a commercial construction jobsite.

Otherwise, those people must be geniuses (genii?), or there are a lot of silly, silly people out there to sell those belts at those prices.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

They keep spamming the uk. car groups with an advert for "chromoing"

My plans for a stupidity-powered perpetual-motion machine come yet another step closer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The kickass benefits of nylon tool bags are the reduced weight and the fast drytime IMO. The belt I wear now has m/f velcro on the bags/belt so you can reposition as needed. Nice engineering (for $60).

Reply to
Eric Ryder

My old leather tool belt has shrunk until it won't go around my middle anymore. I do like the fact that the pouches go on with a tunnel loop, so they can be slid around as the current work demands. As you move from sitting to standing to kneeling to squatting to bending from the waist it is nice to be able to quickly re-position the bags.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Weight ?

If the difference in weight makes a difference you're not carrying a whole lot.

That's been my experience. I was told in the beginning not to waste my time and money on the fancy belts with set pouch locations and bunches of pockets.

My setup is a basic belt with suspenders and two multi pocket leather pouches. If I want to put an addition on, like a drill holder, I need only rearrange the belt. If I'm going from construction to wiring I need only change the pouches.

Reply to
Mark

If you're carrying it every day, all day for 20 yrs, it does - trust me.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Ding, ding, ding!!! Below the picture in the center shows that "40 tools and 6 fasteners are in the C200 Deluxe Framing Set shown". So how much for the bag if I already have all those tools???

Nick

Reply to
Nick