Scroll Saw Had a Few Bumps ... Now Will Not Start ... Why?

I have a Dremel scroll saw. It was operating fine for a while. I had a time or two when it had problems starting. It did not stop while it was running, it just failed to restart after I had stopped it. These times I checked the brushes, moving parts, etc and it seemed to just start again. Now however it has stopped and will not start no matter what I do.

I have power because the light works. The parts move freely. The brushes look fine as far as I can tell (not an expert). I have only used the saw about 20-30 hours total so far. There was a bit more clattering noise than I would say is normal before it stopped working.

My guess is that people will say the motor is shot. Once again, not an expert but I am not sold on that (not yet at least).

Any advise or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Reply to
Michael

The bumping is puzzling me. If it moves freely, then nothing's seized like bearings or shafts. It is most likely electrical, possibly one out of 3 things:

1) loose connection, now disconnected 2) burnt out switch or wiring somewhere 3) burnt out or broken armature winding wire.

If under warranty, hand it back to the makers. If not, check the wiring, switch etc. If it's not them then it's the motor. A re-wind can be cheaper than replacement but in many cases, either may be more troublesome than spending a bit more and getting a new machine.

I own a Delta 16" scrollsaw and I love it. It uses pinless blades that allows me to use threading-through techniques for fine fretwork and a very wide range of blade types are available. I've even got metal cutting blades and have cut sheet steel with it.

Have a look at what's available in that type of machine in various brands. The Delta carries a 2 year warranty.

Reply to
Norman Lever

I'm having the same problem with mine. In attempt to check the fuse I broke the fuse holder. I just put it back on the shelf for one of those "rainy day" projects as I don't use it very often. I am guessing only the motor is fused but I'm not an electrician. Almost all the symptoms are the same as you describe except I don't remember any kind of different noise the last time I used it.

Reply to
William E. Prisavage