Screw/drill position

Hi All:

I'm new to woodworking after 61 years of living. My wife bought for me an

18.2-V Makita cordless drill, which I'm delighted to have.

My question (which isn't adequately addressed in the users manual): There are two settings -- one for drilling and one for screwing (be kind!). If I use the drill setting for screwing or the screw setting for drilling will I go to jail without passing "Go"? What's the difference between the two?

TIA.

Irwin

Reply to
Irwin Schwartz

Irwin

Basically the SCREW setting is a lower RPM than the DRILL setting. You can use EITHER setting with Screws or Drillbits, but you will likley find that the higher speed does better for drilling, and the lower speed is more controllable when driving screws

John

Reply to
John

ya do like john says. the switch simply changes the gearing inside so basically you got low gear and high gear.

or just do like me and leave it in high gear. who needs a slow speed

randy

Reply to
xrongor

The lower speed will give you more torque when driving screws, and the higher speed will give you faster drilling with twist bits.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

But if you happen to be drilling in metal the slow speed is often better. The high speed is good for drilling in wood.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

(The people who don't own the Makita M-Force drills may not realize this but... he may be talking about a switch that locks out the clutch!)

Is the drill an M-force model? It will have two black switches on the top:

first one (the "Shift-Lock drive" switch), if moved to the "drill" setting, locks the clutch. The "screw" setting allows you to set variable fastening torque via the large collar with numbers 1-16 on it.

The switch behind the shift-lock sets low speed, high torque (labeled "1") or high speed low torque (labeled "2"). You typically use "1" for screwdriving and "2" for drilling.

Tell us the model number of the drill...

Irw> Hi All:

Reply to
Daniel

If this works like the DeWalt the clutch is activated in the screw setting, allowing you to control screw depth. Just use the drill setting for drilling & the screw setting for driving screws & remenber that a higher clutch setting will drive the screws deeper.

HTH Big John

There is a thin line between hobby & mental illness.

Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

Reply to
WilliaJ2

No, the screw setting engages the clutch and has no effect on the speed. The speed setting switch changes the overall RPM's

Reply to
Leon

If you use the drill setting to drive a screw you may break the screw or drive it too far into the wood. If you use the screw setting to drill you may lock or jam the bit in the wood as the clutch may slip. Basically, the screw setting engages the adjustable clutch. Adjustable clutch settings help prevent breaking screws or driving screws too far.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, the 6347DWDE is the 18v Makita M-Force drill.

Daniel

Thank you, Daniel. You're right.

Irwin

Reply to