Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography

The punch line is "Cold -- and deep!"

Reply to
Steve

That's a proper river, Cowboy.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL ... someone finally got it.

Reply to
Swingman

If nothing else (and there really is nothing else) losing the middle finger would at least give you and others a standing joke to work with. "What was the toughest part about losing your middle finger?" "Learning to drive again."

Interesting observation, though. Which finger would someone pick to lose if they had to lose one? I'm guessing pretty much everyone would pick the pinky.*

  • Good grief - my spellchecker just flagged pinky.

Reply to
RicodJour

The (pinky, pinkie?) 5th carpal digit is the strongest grasping finger. Grab your (opposite) thumb and squeeze with each 5th, 4th and

3rd digit, individually, and see which applies the most force. The pinky is a keeper, even for your lesser dominant hand.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

tip of his finger. Worst that could happen would be a cut, not severance of the finger. He also touched the side of the blade, not the tip. That demo was a trick.

Steve Tahan.

Reply to
SteveT

So you're man enough to have just stuck your finger right on in there, eh? He went farther than I would have been able to go.

Surely by now we have some real-world accounts of how the Saw-Stop has saved somebody from serious harm? Or do we only have demos to reassure us?

Reply to
Steve Turner

I am sure he wanted to limit the damage, should more than designed occur but he did wait until the sweat from his hand triggered it, unlike a real "accident"

I would like to see a piece of steak swung into the blade at a "real" human reaction speed like somebody jumping back from a kick-back pulling their hand back as fast as their nervous system will react. My guess is it would still mangle the finger but not take the second one off. My felling is nobody slowly feeds their finger into the TS blade a a slow speed. Accidents are when the "shit hits the fan" and the human reacts, nervously.

Steve Tahan.

On Jan 17, 8:41 am, Kimosabe wrote: Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

Josepi

=A0That demo was a trick.

OK, it is an electrical circut completion that triggers the safety brake right?

What if you have no contact with the table top but just the blade? Notice his hand is resting on the table top. What if you are using a wooden sled? Does it stil work? What if you are standing on a rubber mat?

Just wondering.

All that said, I too am pretty sure next new TS purchase would have to be a sawstop, especially if I go into a business situation where I am asking\hiring others to run the tool. Fortunately I don't thnk anyone is making a saw any better. The commercial Sawstaop is a beautiful fricking saw, brake or not. Not worth an extra grand on it's own but the brake feature is worth a finger, a new blade and hunk of aluminum.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I don't believe he risked any finger. If the Sawstop mechanism had failed he would have had a little nick on the end of one finger, but the blade wouldn't have been able to grab enough meat to haul his hand onto the blade as his finger was just barely within reach of the tip of the teeth. But it still gave me the creeps.

Reply to
DGDevin

It's capacitive, like those lamps where you touch the base to turn it on or off. Your body has electrical current. You could be wearing rubber soled shoes and it still works. You don't need to be grounded.

RicodJour

It's been done. Same results.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Right, Solomon, they should have tried cutting a baby in half.

There was no trick. There also was no stupidity.

RicodJour

Why can't people just accept the fact the thing fu@&!ng works?

Reply to
-MIKE-

OK, somewhere I saved one of the Patents...ah, here's the pertinent section from the Disclosure section--

"The detection subsystem includes a sensor assembly, such as contact detection plates 44 and 46 , capacitively coupled to blade 40 to detect any contact between the user's body and the blade. Typically, the blade, or some larger portion of cutting tool 14 is electrically isolated from the remainder of miter saw 10 . Alternatively, detection subsystem 22 may include a different sensor assembly configured to detect contact in other ways, such as optically, resistively, etc. In any event, the detection subsystem is adapted to transmit a signal to control subsystem 26 when contact between the user and the blade is detected. ..."

AFAIK, the only ones on the market use the capacitively-coupled embodiment rather than resistive or optical.

Primarily the physical causative factor of the body capacitance instigating trip is owing to the water content of flesh; one of the features of the saw (at least initially, I presume still is altho I've not looked at one in detail since shortly after initial introduction) is a bypass switch so it won't be triggered falsely when cutting, say, construction treated tubafores or similar that are wet. Of course, using that is a conundrum since it prevents a real trip if one were required as well...

That's probably more than I know... :)

I _think_ all are based on passive capacitance change as somebody else similar to the lamp switch effect. There are active capacitative proximity sensors, but they're measuring a field change.

--

Reply to
dpb

I agree with the safety aspect and would buy one also.

I don't agree with the capacitive sensing though, no matter what they claim.

The capacity of a plastic cased weiner is a lot lower than a 3/4" sheet of damo fir plywood ebing held by a human on a huge mass grounded steel table. Somebody is protecting their non-patent with some BS.

I had originally heard it was moisture but the demo sort of disproves that also.

OK, it is an electrical circut completion that triggers the safety brake right?

What if you have no contact with the table top but just the blade? Notice his hand is resting on the table top. What if you are using a wooden sled? Does it stil work? What if you are standing on a rubber mat?

Just wondering.

All that said, I too am pretty sure next new TS purchase would have to be a sawstop, especially if I go into a business situation where I am asking\hiring others to run the tool. Fortunately I don't thnk anyone is making a saw any better. The commercial Sawstaop is a beautiful fricking saw, brake or not. Not worth an extra grand on it's own but the brake feature is worth a finger, a new blade and hunk of aluminum.

Reply to
Josepi

Well, I'm not sure about plywood 'ebing', what things other than humans operate machinery on this planet, or the capacity of a weiner (sheesh), but the word is: capacitance (k=C9=99=CB=88p=C3=A6s=C9=AAt=C9=99ns) -n

  1. the property of a system that enables it to store electric charge
  2. a measure of this, equal to the charge that must be added to such a system to raise its electrical potential by one unit

Were you asleep that day in the third grade when they made a potato battery?

You don't know the word, you don't know they got it patented, but I do know you are dangerous with a keyboard. You assault people's intelligence on a daily basis with it. Put it down and step away. Thanks.

RicodJour

I don't think it works on detecting sault.

You don't know the word, you don't know they got it patented, but I do know you are dangerous with a keyboard. You assault people's intelligence on a daily basis with it. Put it down and step away. Thanks.

Josepi

What if you're a dried up old fart?

one of the

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Don't buy an iPad, or other touch screen device ... ;>)

Reply to
Swingman