Transtint penetration

Black, liquid dye, on maple. Any way to get it soaked in deeply enough --

1/16" or so -- that light sanding won't burn through it?
Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Maple doesn't like to take color. I do a full strength wash of transtint black on curly maple as a first step to excentuate the figure. It takes very little hand sanding to get it back to mostly white maple. Infact you can see some samples here of one project that used that technique. I use water as a base but it is the same story for alcohol.

proud of this finish by the way.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Nice, good to see someone shooting for depth.

Black stain that doesn't muddy the grain, that shows off PVC resin inlay. Transtint in water doesn't stick to plastic as much as Transtint in alcohol (good), but the color on maple is more red-black than black-black (not so good). Still have a few minor bugs to work out.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Avoid sanding so aggressively. Just what are you sanding, the raised wood fibers, nibs and such? To avoid as many nibs, like raised wood fibers, wipe your piece with just alcohol first, to get those nibs to rise, then sand them. Repeat this process if need be. This way, there won't be so many to sand after applying the dye stain.

Beyond the nibs and such, the stained piece should, ideally, not need to be sanded.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Nice table. Curious, did you turn the legs on a lathe, or do them by hand or router table?

> Very proud of this finish by the way.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Well... he said sheepishly... this was a kit from Bartleys Collections.

I bough the kit as part of my competitive research; I am going int the kit business hopefully. Then I wanted to do a real world test of a curly maple finish I have been working on. So I built the kit to testthe finish on a real piece. So I am super happy and proud of the finish but all the milling was done by the guys as

SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You can do second coats and it will darken. The color will look very different once you apply some lacquer or shellac or whatever. Dramaticially different. Dye colors always look like a mistake, dull, gray, flat until you hitthem with some film finish or oil. Then they pop!

You might look into ebonizing. One method to do this is to dissolve steel wool in vinegar. Do a google on ebonizing. Here is one result

SonomaProducts.com

Look here for an even better method of ebonizing

SonomaProducts.com

deeper, results are much more predictable.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel