Sawstop - ok, does it actually work?

Hey, you can't do that, I've already patented "Hammerstop" It's based around a small heat sensor in the hammer head that senses human flesh warmth. It only works when the hammer blow is under way, an acceleration sensor disables it at other times. When triggered, it sets off an air-bag about the size of a basketball. Neat idea huh?

Anyway, I reckon it will only add $41.39 to the OEM cost of a hammer, so, yes, that will represent a modest increase at the retail level. But it will be worth it. I reckon it will save millions in health costs each year.

But anyway, whining about the tiny little extra cost won't help. I have petitioned the UN to make it compulsory worldwide, and they have agreed. This is reportedly the first useful thing the UN has ever done.

Other things coming are a "Screwdriverstop", a "Canopenerstop" a "Papercutstop" an "Unsafesexstop" and others I cannot reveal.

Barry "The stopper" Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Good advice for the hot-dog in-carne-ate, old bean.

Dont KNOCK it. The BRATS can come up with some that are far lousier.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

What, you're going to outlaw BEER!!!!

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

No not me, though I feel another good idea coming on. An alcohol sensor that fires an airbag on the glass, if it senses more than x mg on your breath.

Sorry, gotta rush to the Patent Office, then gotta call at the Surgeon-Generals Office to petition him to make this complusory.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Let's get this back on topic. Does the SawStop "cut the mustard"?

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Nova wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

No They say it wont even cut the bun

Reply to
timonjkl

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:39:38 +1200, Barry Lennox Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

that'd be when i take to bringing my own glass to the party

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:55:56 GMT, bonomi@c-ns. (Robert Bonomi)Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

Bull$h1t

Jums, git the welder, torch, and that BFH in the corner. . . we'll git this thing installed...

heheh

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Fri, Jul 11, 2003, 2:34pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Frank=A0Ketchum) says: I'm not asking for political comment here about wether or not sawstop should be doing what they are doing.

Being in business and making money?

What I am wondering if the device actually works as well as they say it does.

Well, let's take it as a given that it does. What I'm wondering is how well it is going to work after a few years in a shop? 5, 10, 15, years down the road.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

This might, indeed, be one of the issues with this product. While I understand accidents happen, stuff like this can make one lazy and forget personal responsibility. The price to pay is a mucked up saw because the sawstop was enabled due to your carelessness.

As I said before, there may be venues where it would be approriate, perhaps, a school sett--snip--

(no stain for email)

Reply to
Renata

I never understand this point that a lot of people make about protective equipment. It's almost to say that the safety device will make people careless and will lead to more accidents overall. I don't buy it. Do people drive their cars carelessly because they have a seatbelt on or an airbag in the car? No, they drive carelessly because they are careless.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Yet another negative - they're trying to force everyone to have one of these and the moment it goes off, you're probably out the price of a new table saw. I'd rather take my chance and practice proper respect and care whilst using the saw.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I haven't been paying that much attention to this thread, but you guys got me to turn around. Are you actually saying you would rather lose a finger or a hand than buy a new saw? Even the most scrupulously careful can have an accident. Or don't you believe that?

Reply to
Lawrence Rottersman

Lawrence Rottersman asks:

I'd be interested to find out how many people have lost an entire hand to a table saw. Some, I'm sure, but....

As to the rest, I don't think anyone is saying they'd rather lose a finger than buy a new tablesaw, though in some cases with the rise in price that SawStop is certain to bring, that might be an option for people who otherwise would have to drop out of woodworking.

What they're saying, IMO, is that they do not see a company worming its way into government arenas to force us to buy a safety attachment that is proven, to some extent anyway, in experimentation, but unprove in real life use. There are other methods that can help prevent, or reduce the severity, of accidents at relatively low cost, with no harmful effect on the tool after it use. European style crown guards are one. Over-the-blade box guards are another. Splitters are another.

We have no information, and SawStop is carefully not providing any, on whether or not the reaction of the brake will ruin the saw, the blade, whatever. Supposedly, you can pop in a new cartridge and merrily saw away. Practically, one does have to wonder what that sudden stop, and quick drop, will do to a carbide tipped saw blade, not to mention the arbor bearings and the arbor itself.

So, no: no one wants to lose a finger in preference to buying a new saw, but we do wonder, if my above suppositions are correct, why in the hell we should allow the government to force us to buy unproven technology. I'm often classed as a liberal, but I do not see this as a political issue. It is an issue of overweening business arrogance, added to a similar dose of "We know what's good for ya" from the Feds, which tends to mean, at least to me, that the average cost of a decent contractor saw is going to pee an arc that reaches $1000 in short order, with cabinet saws jumping proportionately.

The company estimate was originally for a $150 addition in cost to the saw. With government intervention, any need for price moderation disappears, and we're quite possibly looking at another $600 hammer.

No thanks.

Charlie Self

I think we agree, the past is over. George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

Rich Davis, the inventor of soft body armor, routinely shoots himself to prove that his product works. It is amazing to watch him take a 6" 44 magnum, hold it against his chest, and pull the trigger. I believe that he has done this over 1,200 times. He truly believes in his product. SawStop likes to test their product with a hot dog. I guess that they have done one test where they slowly touched the blade. I would like to see a real demo of the product where they rip a piece of wood and run their fingers directly into the saw blade. You figure that when you rip a piece of wood you move the wood 10 or 20 inches in 3 to 5 seconds. Now THAT would be an interesting demo.

Reply to
David B. Chamberlain

I took a .38 caliber to the chest with body armor a few years ago - completely knocked me on my ass and cracked a rib.

I don't even think I'd test the Saw Stop by putting my finger on the flat side of the blade at full rpm - just the friction burn would hurt! :-)

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

No, nobody has ever said that. Don't bother attributing statements that were never made. It's pig-ignorant.

There are a number of other more relevant issues: Including:

I, nor anybody I know, has lost any body parts to a circular saw. I have had a few injuries and bruises through kickback. Sawstop does not stop that. Therefore. based on MY experience, it's useless.

Yes, the careful can have an accident. But most do not. It's all about responsibility. Some would be better taking up knitting. If you simply pay attention, concentrate and ALWAYS know where your hands are, it's hard to get cut.

Sawstop says "all the right things", but it's really about them making lots of money, by compulsion.

If it goes off with wet wood, will they give me money-back warranty on all the parts that require replacement. No they will not.

What's the total cost of mandated sawstops vs the cost of the accidents they would have prevented. I will not accept any figures Sawstop produce, they have a vested interest here.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

That's it! I need body armor, as well as PavementStop, CarStop (or maybe that's a Don'tRunMeOverStop), SunBurnStop, DehydrationStop, FlatTireStop, and prolly a few others I've missed - when I go out on a bicycle ride from now on.

Renata

--snip--

--snip--

Reply to
Renata

I'm basically libeterian, and I swing conservative or liberal depending on my mood, but what I am constant about is the belief that people should be free to do what they please with their own bodies, so long as it does not intefer with the safety of others, which is why having brakes on your car is a good idea to be mandatory, while wearing seatbelts (also a good idea) should not be required by law. Nobody (imho) looking at a tablesaw cutting wood for the first time needs a politican to tell him what it can do to his bodyparts.

I also think companies should be free to make as much money as they can, although not by way of Enron, World Com, etc., and they should do so out of their pocket, not that of the public treasury

Anyway, in reference to the two people whose posts I reacted to did, for me, make the inference clear they would not buy Sawstop because it wrecked the saw when it worked. However, I'm quite sure they are smarter than my smart-assed remarks above and are more than welcome to my apology if they think one is needed.

One last thought. Safety, if taken too far, can be dangerous too, as in the overly prudent driver. But for people like me, who have to balance their love of woodworking with their inclination to carelessness, than safety does have more than usual importance.

No, nobody has ever said that. Don't bother attributing statements

Reply to
Lawrence Rottersman

How about using one of those ceramic toothed blades. The ceramic won't conduct the electricity when you hit the nail ;)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall