Saw blade charpening

Be sure to ask if they can flatten the blade as well. If not, look elsewhere.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

But isn't that how pros become pros? One must make that first leap in order to begin the journey. :)

Reply to
SBH

Pros become pros by convincing someone to pay them to do something. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are competent.

Reply to
CW

This is fine if one has as a goal in life becoming a professional saw-sharpener.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I sent mine to Ridge Carbide Tool. Google them and you'll find the pricing and so forth. I was ready to trash the DeWalt blade that came with my miter saw after it was used to cut lots of laminate flooring. I lent it to someone figuring I'd just upgrade to a Ridge blade when he was done. Instead, I sent it along with a couple of other blades. It came back better than when it was new. Some things are best left to the pro.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I bought the HF unit and am reasonably happy with it. I sharpen my hand saws, my chisels, my hand plane blades and found that this was not much different. Like most sharpening, you don't need to take off much steel to get a good cutting edge. I would hesitate to sharpen my most expensive blades myself but I have a few blades sitting around that I use for suspect wood that might have nailes etc. I also like the idea that I can tinker with the shape of the teeth to optimize them for certain cuts. I recommend getting a book on sharpening such as Leonard Lees book. On the other hand, if I were doing production work and focused on the bottom line, I would buy new blades or use a professional sharpening service. Since I am a recreational woodworker, I find it fun to tinker with the blades.

Reply to
Glen

Isn't that what the guy said that tried skydiving with a cheap parachute?

Reply to
Knot Important

Good advice. If you lived in Wichita and had good luck with the service I am guessing the blades ended up being sharpened by a shop in McPherson. I don't remember the name of the place though. After a few hit and misses we started using the place and would send them about a dozen blades per month. They could do real miracles with cheap blades and absolute marvel on the nicer blades. We could send them good, high quality blades and they would come back cutting better and pulling less power then when they were brand new! And they did an exceptional job on planer and shaper cutters, too.

Reply to
Knot Important

Just got my blades back from Forrest. What a difference - they're like new. Did some test cuts and I'm very satisfied. Took them ~ 1 week to process them. They call to get permission to replace tips as needed. Have them do test cuts and tip replacements. I believe you'll be pleased. Not a troll - just a satisfied customer.

"SBH" wrote in news:AWJ7n.944$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.iad:

Reply to
me