Saw a sucker today...

Some dude wearing a "Handyman Club of America - Lifetime Member" jacket. Hee hee hee. I'll bet he was a *charter* member too.

It was all I could do not to bust out laughing at the guy. More money than sense, that's for damn sure.

Reply to
Silvan

When you get the "complimentary address" labels, do you cut off the HCofA logos and use them? [I can't help it, my folks grew up during the depression and ingrained the idea that it is a bad thing to let things go to waste].

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

.. of course I meant use the address labels and discard the logos.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:07:28 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

He probably uses a Crapsman faux nylon brush to put thick, bubbly layers of Minwhacked poly on his cherry-stained knotty-pineywood pukeyducks, too, huh?

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Check out

apparantly, if you take the "free trial" of Handyman Club, and then back out, they sell your info (including phone number for a little more) to direct marketers:

"Reach direct-to-publisher responders made up of active homeowners who participate in every do-it-yourself activity, including painting, woodworking, landscaping, decorating, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, home repairs and more.

These people responded to a risk-free offer to preview the club and opted not to continue their membership. As a result, they were removed as active members.

All competitive and non-competitive offers will be able to rent the responders for either direct mail or telemarketing campaigns."

So, trying out HCA really _does_ label you as a sucker, apparently.

Reply to
Dennis M. O'Connor

Oh, and of course members get their info sold too:

"Active paid direct-to-publisher subscribers/Members of the HANDYMAN CLUB OF AMERICA'S magazine "HANDY" do more than just read their unique hands on do-it-yourself publication. They also buy products ranging from apparel, books and collectibles from exclusive Members-only club offerings.

PROFILE: Men 75% Women 8% Median Age: 51 Average Income: $60,000 Homeowners Married 89% Well Educated Have A Garden 50% Own Power Tools 97% "

$110/thousand, 558,816 people, 75% men, 8% women, 17% other ?

-- Dennis M. O'Connor snipped-for-privacy@primenet.com

Reply to
Dennis M. O'Connor

Gosh Larry. Couldn't you find a few more intresting things he might have been doing? :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:26:18 GMT, Lewis Hartswick brought forth from the murky depths:

Sorry, lew, but it was HIS agenda I questioned. =:0

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Groggy

Not from them. I never got any, and I haven't heard from them in a long, long time. From others, yes, I have.

(I haven't heard from the HCoA since I screamed at them over that check they sent that would have cost me a fortune if I had cashed it. That really pissed me off, and convinced me beyond any doubt that the club was a total scam.)

Reply to
Silvan

The knotty pineywooy pukey ducks he made with his 3 HP Crapsman routah doubtless...

BTW, why do people do that to cherry? My uncle has a very nice china display thingie in his dining room. Some kind of dark reddish brown color. I asked him about it, and he said it was solid cherry. It was solid something. If that was cherry, someone stained the hell out of it to get it to look like that. I don't get it. If you want dark, why not just use walnut? Am I nuts?

Reply to
Silvan

sanding sponge now.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:52:29 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

No, but their taste is all in their mouths.