Sanding/Staining Canoe Gunnels

No.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Aw. . . come on Lew :-)

The wood wouldn't cost much. The shop and experience to replace them is another story. Mike Galt used pirana on the custom Canoes he built. It held up very well. Go visit a boat builder and see what he has to say.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Yes. My old Mad River Explorer had wooden gunnels. I ignored them and they eventually rotted out, of course. My local outfitter was able to put vinyl gunnels on for about $100, cheap. It's not worth the trouble to replace wooden gunnels on a boat that is old anyway when the alternative is cheap and durable.

I do not think vinyl gunnels are a DIY job, but it is a simple and cheap fix. Depending on where you live and your brand of canoe, your gunnels can be replaced with vinyl by an outfitter who does it all the time. My guy replaced my deck plates and gunnels with black vinyl. It looks better than it sounds and is plenty strong, rivited to the hull.

What brand of canoe? Which state or city are you near? If you have a Mad River Canoe then they have a network of outfitters who can fix you. If another brand then customer service may be less. A Mad River outfitter should be able to fit vinyl to any brand of canoe. Check their website for your local outfitter. Look for someone who does repairs rather than a simple dealer.

Reply to
lwhaley

These days, guess I'll have to go visit myself.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Although the word is pronounced 'gunnels', it's actually spelt 'gunwales'.

Reply to
Aardvark

Check with the manufacturer if you know who it is. Quite a few years ago I helped my Dad rebuild a 1912 Old Town canoe. The gunwales were still available as were the ribs. Shipping for the

18' gunwales was more expensive than the parts. Originally the boat was covered with canvas but we covered it with glass. Today you can still buy the same model (Guide 18') in canvas or clear glass.

My Dad just passed away a few weeks ago and that canoe is still hanging in his garage. It was a fun project and a great memory that lives on. My brother and I plan on a float this summer...I'm sure Dad will be there.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.