Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

Those aren't what I'd call "custom nails". "Specialty", yes, but not "custom".

Reply to
J. Clarke

I want to see the video of you extruding your own monofilament fishing line next. OK?

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I never even heard the word "extruding" before you mentioned it (but I looked it up). Learning how to make one's own "fly-fishing line" might make more sense (one can dispose of several twenties for that stuff). I don't know what is involved in making monofiliment line. What do you think: people didn't go fishing before monofilament fishing line was EXTRUDED??? : ) If I took the blade off, I'll bet I could catch fish with my weed-eater: Just push the button and "reel" 'em in... easier than the fishin' magician! Add a few strings, and you could be a fishin' musician! : ) Don't get me started... lol

Bill

Reply to
Bill

How about raising/growing my own fish?

BTW, I have a fish I stuffed on my old bedroom wall (my first effort at taxidermy done when I was 13). I might have guessed I was older, except I dated it. I hesitate to use the term "mounted" as some folks here are easily excitable... Yep, I learned how by reading a few pages of a book. I made an wooden oval panel to glue it to using a coping saw, a rasp and sandpaper, and some blue paint I found in the garage. A few streaks of paint across the fish, a few coats of varnish, a suitably-sized lightbulb in his eye socket, and he/she still looks like a fairly healthy (big) bluegill some thirty-some years later... I didn't stop at the fish, but this is a good place to wind this up. If anything made an impression on me, and it still does, it's that the instructions to do stuff like that is sitting on the shelf of the library. Pretty cool (the library, now known as Google books, et. al.)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, seriously, custom nailmaking could be a decent-paying profession. Look at the price of handmade nails. They're hard to find and expensive when you do find them.

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, I wonder what they would give me to pound out a few at one of those "pioneer parks" displaying the ways of old-time living. They might even feed and clothe me! Don't think I would pass up the chance to make use of a forge and anvil if it were offered! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

HAH!

Lobby Dosser

Yep, looks like someone beat me to it... "A day late and a dollar short..." : )

Reply to
Bill

I think most of 'em are entirely volunteer. The Antique Steam and Gas Engine Museum in Vista, CA (where I used to live) was volunteer except for a few admin personnel.

Don't think I would pass up the chance to

Yeah, as long as you're upwind and far enough away from the forge, it's exciting, tiring, and filthy dirty fun. I hit a few licks (forge welding) and have a new level of respect for blacksmiths. What surprises me is that I seldom see earplugs or muffs on these guys. That's noisyass work, fellas!

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My story was a day early and about $1,000,000 short in software development and, unfortunately, had most of my brilliant ideas while working for stuffy companies. :()

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I think the folks at Williamsburg are paid.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I quote the rule, you the exception. OK. Go for it.

You and Bill are gonna be _rich_!

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One man's noise is another man's music. Nothing takes you back in time like the sound of a 2 lb hammer on an anvil.

Reply to
Father Haskell

In a flask, tank, bathtub, etc., add equal parts 1,6 hexanediamine and sebacoyl chloride without mixing. The nylon 66 forms as a boundary layer dividing the two. Create your mono line by drawing the nylon around a pencil or glass rod.

Father Haskell

You 'think' you quote the rule.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I've used garage door spring to make strikers. Older springs are more likely to be bigger in diameter. Modern metallurgy has let them cut down on the diameter of the metal. You can always upset it if you need more diameter.

One spring makes a good many strikers at 5-6 inches of steel each. I made a lot of the CF type in the link below for Boy Scouts and to trade in years past. I would expect it would make good turnscrews, chisels and knives, but limited in size due to the diameter. It is overkill for S-hooks for fire iron sets where mild steel is sufficient.

- no affiliation with Track, except as a satisfied customer.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Very interesting. Lots of folks around here don't seem to appreciate "extra work" the way you and I do! Extra work, the stuff they don't pay ya for: it makes time timeless.

Bill

>> Disclaimer - no affiliation with Track, except as a satisfied customer. > > Regards,

Reply to
Bill