Need brown stain/sealer/pesticide

I can't find any Jasco Termin-8 to paint the cut ends of pressure treated lumber any more. Evidently Homax bought Jasco and sold Termin-8 to Black Flag and they stopped making brown, now making only green. The problem is that 90% of all pressure treated lumber is now brown, not green.

Does anyone know of a preservative/dye/pesticide/mildewcide that comes in brown or can be mixed with deck stain so I can make my own? I just emailed Superdeck to see if they did. They said they don't make it and can't comment on it or test anything because of frackin' regulations.

I've found a clear pesticide but don't know if it would work in a deck stain. It comes in gallons only and sells for $23, so I can't even test it for a rational price.

And I can't just paint it with clear and wait several days to paint it with deck stain because half the timbers would be covered (or underground) by then. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A dab of red tint will turn your green stuff brown....

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't it make my brown eyes blue?

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

LJ:

Testing is for those high-flying, daredevil pilots. Find what might work and call the company concerned unless a more savvy someone already knows. If nobody here arises, perhaps a search under a selection of pesticide trade names and ("deck stain" OR stain) might mean something.

Tim-Bor is a borax termicidal treatment for wood that gets top talk with less likelihood of endowing you with that third hand you always need. Maybe you can stain over it instead of making a devil's cocktail with pigment?

There are some really fearsome termicides that have been banned into the secondary market of new old stock. However, given their cost and advisability of a full-dress space outfit, I hope you find another option.

BTW, an ant species exists that actually eats your unwanted tenants. There welcome at my picnics anytime.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

My brown eyes get red when I have the blues, coo coo kachoo.

-- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sometimes, genetic mutation is A Good Thing(tm). I had my house timbored last year. Good stuff, and cheap. But it hardens in solution so it has to be mixed and used immediately. Boracare is even worse, mixing out like honey. The guys like to spray it immediately after mixing with hot water.

As I said, timing is critical. I need to swab and install each piece instantly. I can't wait for hours or days due to the cut-to-fit-and-build-right-over-it timing. Unfortunately, it has to be a single-shot application.

Copper naphthenate was Jasco's main ingredient for preservative and pesticide, and I believe that it's still being used in the green stuff. The clear goop moved to zinc naphthenate.

Oh, sure. While dumping a $2,500 cannister of imported ants on the client's freshly built deck, I tell him why it costs so much more this year than last? I think I'd lose future bids.

-- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks.

I'll continue testing, but everything so far turns a muddy green/gray, not the proper shade of "treated chocolate" brown.

-- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

LJ:

Dr. Jaquestein...that bolts right into my head.

Though moot, Jasco soaked always beat the Dickens out of painting it. Finding a client whose understanding equals willingness to fund such sage sendeavor is the sticker. I see your bind.

For you Larry...$500. Think of the mark up. When the mutagen you finally use makes them gigantic, your client will be big in pictures.

I'll talk to my ag consult on the issue. Don't get your hopes up.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

I too would like to find a brown copper napthenate product, tinting the termin-8 might help. Termin-8 is not only too green but a sickly green at that.

I was a big fan of the Jasco brown, I built some temporary gates for some dog pens about 10 years ago out of untreated yellow pine 2x4, fully exposed to the weather and ground contact on the bottom. I give them two coats of Jasco and they are still as solid as ever. Untreated pine would only have lasted a year in a similar situation.

Because they were supposedly temporary, I assembled them with drywall screws and the screws are beginning to fail, I plan back the old screws out and replace with real screws, it will be interesting to see just how long these gates will last.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

That's interesting. Got me thinking, so I did some googling... I didn't think treated lumber has needed to have cut ends treated in quite some time. The "pressure" part of the treatment is supposed to get the pesticide through the entire piece of wood and not just the surface.

I looked on a bunch of sites for treated wood manufacturers. Some say to treat cut ends and some don't. Personally, next time I use treated wood, I will not use any that requires cut ends to be treated.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Experiment with a pad of steel wool in a small plastic paint container pour in a bit see what happens?

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Copper-tox (SP?) is green copper napthenate dissolved in kerosene or something very similar. Should be compatible with oil-based brown stain.

I have used copper tox for years. Believe I got the last at HD a few years ago.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Because of - the cat that ate your new shoes?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Unfortunately, it comes only in green, and instructions on tinting are concise: Do not tint!

Thanks, anyway.

-- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I know nothing of that, sir. My cat walks through walls.

-- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ah! A Heinlein reference. Cool!

Reply to
Steve

And for one thin dime crawls on her belly like a snake ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

If all you are doing is the ends and "most of it will be underground", what difference does the color make. And why can't you do as suggested and tint a small amount as a test?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Interesting paraphrasing there, Lobby. Only about half the pieces are covered or underground, and the portion underground is 1/4 of the total, so that's 1/8 underground, which could, indeed, be green or other ugly color.

The part which counts is the half which shows: Eye-level rails, the ends of porches and steps, uncapped posts, etc.

Also, using multiple colors in front of the client is usually unwise.

-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

LJ:

I talked to my friend. He has no slapdash fix. Unless you have luck in dutifully prowling the aisles of the readymade, a custom cure gonna cost you.

There is another way to play it off, for playing. Tell the client green is the new brown. Tell the client revisions in color theory have made green and brown complementary colors. Lastly and away, tell him to live with reality and say you did your best to find a way around it unless he wants to pay extra for compatibile brown paint/stain over a termicidal dose.

I'm worried about your cat. The granite in your word would never put your observations in question or presume them jests. But if you're funnin', jokes are sacred nuttiness exempt from all except sanctimony. Should you look on this page:

may find out why your cat likes fish...and learn that one of the attributes of the "glorified body" is subtelty, including the ability to pass through walls. It is a trait of the end time. No aspersion on the context or tradition implicated is implied or to be taken under any and all circumstances. If some see merriment, others may see a final sign. All I've got to say is it may be getting an early start at your place. Or you're a brujo.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey