Garage door torsion springs.

Now you can quickly and safely wind your garage door torsion springs. This tool is great for new installations as well as for replacement torsion springs.

Rich

What's next? A $200 hammer that won't hit your thumb?

I'll stick with the 50-cent winding rod, thank you.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hey, $200 - worth that in an instant, pay for itself faster than you can yell to your maker.

Reply to
bumtracks

The torsion springs (the springs above the door) should only be adjusted by a professional. Do not attempt to repair or adjust the torsion springs yourself.

bumtracks

Went to a house yesterday where the 'professionals' replaced 7 window glasses without bothering to use glazier's putty. Didn't even use clips. Evidence-one of the glass portions was laying in the space between window frame and screen. In every profession, there are a few professionals, and a lot of amateurs. Torsion springs can kill or injure you. As can a table saw, pistol, vehicle. The gene pool needs to be chlorinated regularly. If a person doesn't know and understand what they're doing, they need to not do it. Same applies to non-injurious things, like computer repair. But to try to propose that the only person that's competent to work with torsion springs is delightfully selfserving to the knuckle- draggers in the garage door business..

Reply to
Michael Baugh

The point is that few people have experience with torsion springs and may only have a reasons to do so once in their life. While many other jobs can also be dangerous, people do tend to learn how to do the safely. They also are more likely to have a family member or friend who knows the right way to do it. I believe the advice to leave the adjustment of those springs to the professional is sound advice.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The Pentagon has long since passed this with their $700 versions.

Reply to
jbk

What necessitates the $200.00 non-thumb hitting hammer? Thumb-whackers?

The demand exists, which creats the need for supply.

Go figure...

Reply to
Rich

As of today, 100,000+ readers and 1000+ correspondents say otherwise:

Richard J Kinch

It always seems funny to me that often, people (presumably professionals) will respond in these newsgroups: "call a professional to fix it". Is there anyone on earth who wouldn't have done that already, if they weren't interested in trying it themself? That's the whole point of these discussions.

We all know that there's a professional out there who can fix it. However, the people who ask questions here are usually: 1) pretty handy; 2) interested in learning how to do something new; and 3) enjoy doing their own work. So basically, the response of "hire a professional" is completely useless. We knew that already.

It is also strange to me that so-called professi>

Reply to
J T

John Edwards?

Reply to
Ish

It shows a lot of ignorance to shoot down a practical tool because personally you don't happen to need it. True, it's cheaper to use a pair of winding bars, but not everyone has the confidence to attempt the replacement of torsion springs. Which is why the SpringKing winding tool exists, to help people get the job done.

The statement, "The torsion springs (the springs above the door) should only be adjusted by a professional.", should be considered a disclaimer for those with less than adequate mechanical inclination. This same disclaimer will be found on most competent garage door industry sites including

etc. etc.

By no means would I not want someone to replace their own springs, it's certainly simple enough to do. The only thing required is common sense and simple hand tools.

Here's a word from one of my installers: The springs you are replacing at your website, Kinch, are puny little springs that any sissy can tackle, it makes me and my crew laugh to see that you call them "dangerous". Try replacing something like a quadruble set of 7-1/4 I.D. triplex springs for a 2000+ pound door, then come talk to us. Get real Kinch.....

Reply to
Rich

That is funny, but how many homeowners have a 2000+ pound garage door? I am pretty sure Kinch did not intend that people read his web site as prepartion for repairing 2000+ pound doors. this is alt.HOME.repair... not alt.airplane.hangar.repair!!

Reply to
J T

Winter is just around the corner and there will be HVAC discussions. Everyone should read this "Garage Door" take on restrictive trade practices.

interests as consumers, then we shouldn't be allowed near ladders, lawn mowers, or power tools. Those products are just as hazardous and prone to misuse as torsion springs, yet no one thinks of them as forbidden. The only genuine difference is that torsion springs are a hazardous thing you need only rarely, while a lawn mower is a hazardous thing you need all the time.

Because we will be hearing a lot of similar BS how even looking at a furnace will cause your house to blow up.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Hey.. Rich how's the garage door part business? I'm an ex door installer and owner and saw your ad and thought i'd pick your brains if you don't mind.

Doug

Rich wrote:

Reply to
dmalsbury

No. First you said "should only be adjusted by a professional". Then you offer a tool that purportedly helps the non-professional who lacks "confidence". Which is it?

No, that's not a disclaimer, it is your absolute assertion that NO do- it-yourselfer should EVER touch this work. Are you saying we shouldn't trust the plain sense of your words? That you speak in obscure code langauge regarding risky procedures?

Those groups exist to protect the people in the biz, and to limit liability, not to promote the prudent maintenance of doors. Which is to say, not a complete or trustworthy source of information on the technical subject of garage door maintenance. This is especially true of their publicity such as on their Web sites.

Simple? Then why your double-talk about "only ... professionals"? Why the need for a tool for the timid?

You contradict yourself.

What a bunch. Sometimes you say it is dangerous! You'll be maimed or killed! Only professionals should touch! Then you belittle those who call attention with critical analysis to your self-serving exaggerations, and who publish and promote technical instruction for free, laughing and calling them "sissies". And finally, you want to sell us a tool.

If they think a winding bar is a sissy's tool, then what do they think of the customers buying your little crutch-gadget?

The critical value in reading your self-contradictions and mockery is nil. No one learns anything, or is even entertained.

You, like too many in your industry, appear to be running a business that succeeds based on keeping the customer ignorant and frightened, rather than simply providing a service with honest value. That's no way to get ahead. It's a version of disparaging the competition, where the "competition" is do-it-yourselfers working on our own homes.

I still don't know your opinion of us do-it-yourself'ers. Are we hopelessly incompetent sissies, or potential buyers wisely considering your gadget?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Mr. Kinch,

You're babbling, do yourself a favor get off the sauce.

Do-it-yourselfers are not my competition, they are my customers.

It's just people like you that think you're holier than thou that can take a flying leap.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Not worthy of response.