Safety 2.25 bifocals

Try them and let us know how it works out. I just pair $250 for presciption safety glasses; if the $5 ones work out for you, I will sure feel foolish.

Reply to
Toller

Thu, Apr 19, 2007, 2:51pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (SWDeveloper) doth query: I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap 2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate glasses recommended?

I use a full face shield, because I don't like sawdust and debris being thrown in my face.

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
J T

I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap

2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate glasses recommended?
Reply to
SWDeveloper

Duluth Trading has several styles of safety bifocals from $20-30.

(or go to duluthtrading.com and search for cheaters) I didn't see any 2.25, but they have 2.0 and 2.5. Have you googled 'safety bifocals'? Andy

Reply to
Andy

Then 2.0 or 2.5 would be pretty darn good.

Reply to
Toller

I got a pair of 2.25 bifocal safety glasses at Woodcraft a couple of years ago for around $15. I've had no complaints about them.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

So get 2.50's. If you're past fifty, they will be OK right now and just right this time next year.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Yes, and that my issue. My eye doctor says 2.25 is perfect for closeup work. He says I could get prescription, but that's not necessary as both of my eye are nearly the same.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Um, it's your eyes. Not a time to go cheap and hope for the best. Go polycarbonate, which BTY is pretty common these days.

Reply to
Leon

That's not enough. You need a frame that will actually keep hold of the lens after an impact

Reply to
Toller

Yeah, it's called a full face shield. Anybody that thinks safety glasses (whatever the make) are adequate protection against impact injury is deluding themselves. There's many other parts of the face to consider.

Reply to
Upscale

My former employer picked up the tab for a pair of OSHA Z28 (or whatever) approved prescription glasses from Walmart for about $90 in December. I wear them everywhere, including the shop. It's nice to know that things like birds, ants and grass are not extinct. Made a note to self to not wait 10 years between eye exams next time.

This getting older really sucks, but it sure beats the alternative.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

They are a total PITA, but IMHO, you are right.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just bought a pair for DW (for her sewing, she keeps snaping needles) from CraftSupplies USA for about $15, when I saw an ad for them at under $10, just can't recall where... Woodcraft or Woodworkers supply, I just can't recall

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

99.999% of the time it is enough. The remainder .0001% of the time its a 50/50 chance that stronger frames or not being in the same room would be advisable. ;~)
Reply to
Leon

In order to be safety glasses, they MUST be stamped "Z87.1". That designation means: 1) they have polycarbonate lenses, 2) the frames fully surround the lens, and 3) the frames can be fitted with side eye shields.

Reply to
george

Besides being a woodworker, I am also an avid kayaker. Several years ago, I picked up a pair of stick-on bi-focal lenses from my local big box drug store and mounted them on some cheap sunglasses. I can see far OK but not close. These lenses are great. I can now read a chart on my lap. In the car, I can read the odometer.

I recall the lenses cost about $20. I have dunked myself a few times and the lenses never came off. They are plastic and you attach them to the sunglasses by wetting them and pressing them on the inside surface. If you don't like the position, just peel them off and reapply.

I don't see why you couldn't attach the lenses to ordinary safety glasses. When the safety glasses get scratched up, replace them and transfer the lenses.

HTH,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

So, all I have to do is get me one of those stamps.

Reply to
CW

Chevrolet can probably order you one of those stamps, Seem like that is the emblem on one of the Camaro's or Corvett's. You can get Z28, Z81 and Z06 too. The other Z prefixed labels makes the car fast. If you want it to be indestructible for insurance reasons you order the Z87.1 option. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Here is where I get mine, they have 2.25:

DT