Routing Shelving Unit

I'm looking at re-making my clothes closet to a book shelf unit. I've been contemplating putting up some 3/4" MDF on each side and running lengths for the shelves going down. (The span is approximately 3').

I've never used a routing system before and am looking for recommendations for how deep the cut should go for the 3/4" shelves to slide in? Would simply glueing them in make a strong enough bond?

Thanks for any suggestions,

JW

Reply to
Justin West

It will hold up fine with a maximum load of around 10lbs (depends on depth). Check out "The Sagulator!!"

stoutman

I agree with Jim that 3/4" MDF is a bit weak for a 3' span-- especially for books. I'd use a centered stile in the back and front-- about 2" wide made of pine or even 3/4" plywood dadoed the same as the sides that will accept the shelves. , ( a brace running back to front would be even stronger-) When assembling, the front stile in the center would be the last thing to go on.

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

The usual depth would be 1/4 inch (I am assuming that you mean the depth of a dado cut). You would glue them in the dado. By the way, isn't 3 feet more than a bit long for MDF? MDF is heavy but weak. Jim

Reply to
Jim

deflect approx 60 feet with a 2000 lb load. Good to know ;-)

Reply to
Joe Barta

Maybe a new method for cold bending?

Reply to
Hedley

Back to the original topic, I'll second the 1/4" deep dados, but I'd also agree you'd want something other than MDF for your shelving material. Solid hardwood (3/4") should be fine for 3', or even strips of pine under MDF as supports should work. Alternatively, if you didn't want to rout dados, you could cut a bunch of 1"x1"xshelf depth" strips to use as cleats, and set your shelves on those. You'd still need something to support the MDF in the middle, but that's another option for the sides. Good luck and have fun, Andy

Reply to
Andy

That should work. The OP will find that MDF breaks very easily. It also may crack when nailed. It also does not hold screws well. Otherwise, outside of its appearance, it is fine stuff. (In your house that is). Jim

Reply to
Jim

So THAT's how I can make that bend!

Reply to
Larry Bud

As others have said, depending on the load, 3' might be too much. But if you still want to use MDF, you could always attach a cleat to the back wall to support the back edge of the shelf.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Cool. A practical way to turn 60" of lumber into 120'.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum