router cutting ovals

I have been searching for a router attachment to cut ovals. Have looked at a few co's attachments and a couple of plans on the web. My problem however is that the ovals I need do not have a big enough difference between the length and width. I am looking at making oval wood frames, various sizes but for example

- 42"long by 38" wide or 48" long by 44" wide. The prof attachments all seem to have differences like 14" rather than

4". Any ideas please. Thanks very much
Reply to
technical123

'Tech',

Simple answer, if you have the time . . . initially.

A FULL SHEET of 1/4in Tempered Hardboard is about $10. You probably have some white, water-based primer on hand already. There are numerous web-sites, articles, and 'tips' to making/drawing ovals/eclipses with a pencil, a piece of string, and a couple of push-pins.

Use a roller, brush, rag, whatever to 'prime' the SMOOTH side of the hardboard {my preference is a short-nap roller}. Draw your ovals. Then carefully cut out/file/sand to finished size and use as a 'Positive' or 'Negative' template.

I use this technique to make 'Drawing' {1/8in material} and 'Routing' {1/4in material} templates. The water-based 'KILZ' primer yields a slightly matt surface that 'takes' pencil well, and allows clean erasures. Typically I will 'treat' the edges of the 'Router' templates with epoxy to give a harder, longer wearing, edge,

Ron Magen

Woodhaven makes one that will do what you want. Spendy at about $170.00. If you want to build something yourself, there are lots of plans around easily modified to any differential you want.

Reply to
CW

Thanks for the links Will look into them

CW wrote:

Reply to
technical123

Fine Woodworking has a story entitled "Drawing Big Curves" in issue #175 (February 2005) that contains information on page 78 regarding the construction of an ellipse jig.

Reply to
George Max