Hollowing out telegraph poles

A friend of mine is having a huge underground bunker style room put into his garden. It will be the length + width of his garden and will be buried under 2' of soil. It will be connected to his bungalow for access and will be used as a workshop for his various hobbies. It's costing him a small fortune but he's not concerned about that. The civil engineering firm will build the structure and top it of with soil but everything else he has to do himself. This is where I came in. He had concerns about getting natural light in over his workbenches and I recommended sunlight pipes. He had a look at them and liked what he saw. Now the problem is he doesn't want little clear domes over his lawn so he is raising the domes 8' and having long sunlight pipes. The company has assured him that the pipes will still work over the 11' distance. So after putting my foot in my mouth, my mate has told me that to hide the ugly silver ducting he want to encase them in old telegraph poles. To do so they need to be hollowed down the middle and these poles are all 10' long. I've told him that the easiest way would be to split them in half and channel out the waste then put the two halves together with the ducting in the middle. But he doesn't like the fact that spilt might be seeable and may cause concerns later on. He has told me that no matter the expense, he'll hire whatever equipment I need to hollow these poles out if there is another way to do it other than splitting it.

So my quandry is how do I hollow out 10 x 10' telegraph pole without splitting them down the middle. If there is no other feasible way then my friend is willing to see sense and relenquish the decision to me.

Sorry for the long windedness but I felt I should explain why I needed to know.

TR

Reply to
TrailRat

Well drilling rig :)

Be better and cheaper just to glue up planks (hollow center) and round the outside.

Reply to
dadiOH

?categoria=06&codice=Author+912+-+924&locale=en&marchioId=MORBIDELLI&subcategoria=32

Reply to
Doug Houseman

Doug Houseman wrote:

nah, that machine is for drilling lots of small holes in sheets of particle board very quickly. it won't drill the hole the OP is asking for.

I'd look at other approaches to concealing the pipe. for instance, this sort of thing is done all of the time for zoos and museums, where mechanical equipment has to be concealed from the public. a lot of the time the approach used is to build a replica of the telegraph pole (or tree, or rock or whatever) in steel reinforced concrete. very good weather resistance and total flexibility as to appearance. really. I'd present it to your friend not as a fake telegraph pole but as a garden sculpture, and encourage him to allow the people who build the thing to be part of the design process. approached right it could be a fun project for all involved. I see you're in the UK, so I won't link to any of the contractors on this side of the pond. look for somebody somewhat local- easier to keep an open process and puts the money back into your own community, as it were.

Reply to
bridgerfafc
[top posted for your convenience]

My first impression (on a number of levels) is this guy has more money than brains. Underground bunker? For "various hobbies"? Sure.

Okay, I'm not absolutely positive, but aren't those sunlight tubes something like 8" in diameter (inside), at least? Where is he/you/anyone going to find telephone/graph poles that are 10-12" or more in diameter? And that's at the top of the pole, which nets at least 10', maybe more, in length. Trees taper, you know.

Okay, assuming that issue gets solved, I don't see what the problem with splitting them would be, because for all the rough exterior of the poles, I can't believe anyone would ever be able to see the split once they're glued back up. Especially from outside the compound. Oh, yes, I firmly believe this guy has a compound.

One of life's lessons that took me a long time to learn was to not try to solve other people's problems. Too often they like the situation they're in, so your effort is fruitless. Other times they don't give you all the information you need, so once you've expended the effort to arrive at a solution, they throw another obstacle at you. Your "friend" reminds me of this.

This post makes me wonder if this "friend" is like the guy who tells a doctor at the cocktail party about his "friend" that has an itch or bump or some other malady in order to elicit free medical advice?

Reply to
LRod

Termites. Unless he's in a hurry...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

They still use telegraphs?

Damn! And I was upset when we couldn't get cable.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

No.

You can't get the wood, you know...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Take the pole to the local military base and ask them to fire a cannon round down the centre of the pole. Tell them your buddy with the money will pay for the round. Those military guys are really very nice and would have no problem doing this for you because they are always looking for something to shoot at. The moment they say OK, duct tape a bunch of chisels to the pointy end of the round just before the fire it off. Should make for a nice clean hole.

Pete (Red Green is my role model)

Reply to
cselby

Good luck. I can see why you would want to keep a freind like that. Instead of hollowing out telephone poles, why not just look for some hollow trees and cut them down to fit?

Reply to
lwasserm

Not to mention the noxious stuff they're treated with.

Reply to
tom

I have never found telegraph poles particularly attractive... maybe it's just me?

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

"drilling deep holes" on google, 4th match:

" diameter to 18' with a spade bit.. I'd like to see that.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf
1) add planks around a tube core , then round over (as was allready sugested) and make them look aged - use a belt sander with a coarse belt to get the "surface finish", then paint them to match the looks of an old pole. 2) to keep the exact appearance: make a silicone mold from an old telegraph pole, split it in two halves, use fiberglass & resin to obtain a shell that can be glued around the tube, paint in order to obtain the old look (this is rather a joke, as it would prove to be quite expensive, however this is how tree trunks are made for studio & stage forest scenes)
Reply to
Ioan Barladeanu

... stuff deleted

Not quite answering your question, but I don't think a 2 foot depth of soil is sufficient to dig a hole that'll keep a 10 foot pole upright (even if it's hollowed out). Plus, where the sunpipe enters the bunker, 2 feet isn't enough to stop water ingress: the joint will leak. Also, have you or your friend thought about how many sunpipes/poles will be needed to illuminate the bunker? I have looked into these for a project of my own: a 12-inch pipe will only light about 150 sq.ft. and an 8-incher considerably less. You can get 21 inch pipes, these may be easier to disguise as something else - and you'll need fewer of them.

It may be a good move to buy one sunpipe first and experiment with ways of mounting it, before committing to a full-scale implementation. You never know, when he sees it, he may like the look of the dome!

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Can the satellites pick that up? Keep in mind, if they can see the split, they can see that big old hole in the top as well.

Reply to
A.M. Wood

Can the satellites pick that up? Keep in mind, if they can see the split, they can see that big old hole in the top as well.

Reply to
A.M. Wood

Since money seems to flow well for him, I'd have sheets of rustic wood siding back scored for bending around the pipes...

Flash back to the 60's: Have the pipes "wood grained"... lol

My brother did that one on his metal kitchen cabinets.. fooled most folks..

Mac

mac davis

First off, telegraph poles have very heavy chemical treatment so make sure that you have priced into this proper safety equipment, and bear in mind that between splinters and chemical treatment used telegraph poles are not the friendliest things to have in your back yard. A better option if price is no object would be to start with some ipe blanks or start with pine, bore them, and _then_ have them treated to order. Ipe should last as long as pressure treated and has the added advantage that its chemistry, while allergenic to some people, is in general relatively benign.

The first hit on "ship auger" in Google was . They'll make you an auger bit however long you need it to be and should be able to advise on what kind of power you need in order to drive it--one of their stock 84 inch bits run from both ends should give you a through hole but it will have a step in the middle. Keeping it concentric is another story--it's going to wander in 10 feet but how much I have no idea. If you need exact concentricity you'll need to bore an undersized hole and then put a boring bar though that that is supported on both ends.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"TrailRat" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

2 feet of topsoil will not support the poles, hollow or not.
Reply to
R. Pierce Butler