Router applications?

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8" wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Yes, any ordinary router will do that (if equipped with a bit of the proper size) -- but NOT if used freehand. 1/4" square is far too small, and Delrin much too flexible, to have any hope of freehanding that safely or accurately. You'll need to either mount the rounter in a router table and move the rod past the bit (as opposed to clamping the rod in place and moving the router), or devise some sort of fixture to hold the rod rigidly in place, and guide the router along it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

John Doe wrote in news:PRrlk.18083$89.6930 @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

Since router bits run at something like 15,000 rpm, and have very sharp edges, I'd read the instructions for using a router first, then try it all out on a piece of pine or MDF (watch the noxious dust!). Gaining a little experience before using it on something valable will pay off. Or do you have a lot of Delrin to play with?

Reply to
Han

John Doe wrote in news:PRrlk.18083$89.6930 @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

Harbor Freight sells a mini-table saw for about $50. I'd use that rather than mess with a router, it just seems the router is too powerful and too big to do that.

You might be able to purchase a rod with the profile you want. Most hobby shops would carry it in 12" lengths, but you could probably special order longer. These are usually a styrene rod, and not Delrin.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

An ordinary router could be used to do the job, but it would be easier (and perhaps safer if you've never used a router before) to do the job on a table saw with a featherboard, a hold-down, and a push stick.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I'd be concerned that a router would heat the Delrin and make a mess. My thought would be to use that saw that Puckdropper suggested.

Be sure to set it up properly and use a push stick to keep your fingers out of the way. I'd probably make a 1/4 x 1/4 groove in a board, set the Delrin into it, then push the board over the saw blade.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your might try using a Dremel tool but as everyone said, take the time to hold it safely. I would not try this unless it's in a router table. Perhaps you could attach it to a larger piece of wood with double sided tape.

Reply to
dabears525

Reply to
Artemus

Reply to
dadiOH

Nice thought about using a scratch stock, but you'd play hell trying to make a cutter that'll work in delrin. For cutting delrin, you need quite a bit of power or a very sharp, positive rake cutter to make a non-chatter-y cut...and to keep from gouging in with the sharp rake, you need some sort of cut limiter.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

I haven't tried cutting delrin this way but many other plastics have cut just fine with a scratch stock. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that this small a cut in delrin wouldn't be that difficult. Especially as a scratch stock is used like a plane and takes off a little bit with each pass. It is normally used with a negative rake angle so I bow to your expertise here. Proper positioning of the cutter in the wooden handle allows the handle to be both the depth limiter and a fence. Art

"The Davenport's" wrote>

Reply to
Artemus