Romex cable stapler - pneumatic?

Anyone know of a good stapler for Romex? Those little nail-in thingies are tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx MEW

Reply to
JayPique

JayPique wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

bought one of these a few years ago. Works *great* driving staples into any new construction, not so great with the 55-year-old yellow pine joists in my basement.

Reply to
Doug Miller

JayPique wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

bought one of these a few years ago. Works *great* driving staples into any new construction, not so great with the 55-year-old yellow pine joists in my basement.

The younger units always beat the older guys these days!

Reply to
Eric

tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the staples, thus saving your thumb and forefinger.

Air: I've never seen a pneumatic romex stapler.

Manuals: I've always liked the way Arrow guns work. Try their T-72 model. (Disclaimer: I have no experience with that one here, but have used the T-50 lots and a T-25 once.)

-- I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. -- Anna Quindlen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

tough on my thumbs...

You're supposed to use a hammer.

might be ok if it actually works well. thanx

I have the Gardner Bender stapler. It works pretty well, though sometimes it doesn't go in all the way or I need a more substantial staple.

Reply to
krw

tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx

Hold the back of your hand to the wood, the staple between your index and middle finger. It doesn't hurt nearly as much if you hit your hand that way.

Ditto for many nailing situations.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Reply to
Pat Barber

And balsa is a hardwood.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Only in the sense that it's deciduous.

Reply to
krw

And 55 year old Douglas Fir (we don't get SYP much up here) is a softwood only in the sense it's coniferous.

(I know that you know all this... )

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for a decent load of Douglas Fir.

Reply to
Pat Barber

+1
Reply to
Swingman

Decent Doug Fir is difficult to find, isn't it? Even here where the stuff grows.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

DF is all we have up here in the PNW.

Freshly cut, it's as soft as pine. Dry, it's harder than oak. Import nails bend when they just _see_ aged doug fir. And it handles cold, rainy weather damnear as well as PT, cedar, or redwood. Amazing.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Vertical grain Douglas fir can make some nice looking furniture and carries a premium price hereabouts.

Reply to
Swingman

For those in the bay area, Jackel in watsonville has nice new and recycled doug fir; with the new in 8/4 and 10/4. Reclaimed is hit-n-miss.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I love doug fir and the local big boxes used to carry it, regularly. Very hard to find, anymore. I'll ignore the "harder than oak" comment and chalk it up to hyperbole. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

You'd be mistaken. Try working with 50 year old DF fourbatooz. You pretty much have to drill to be able to drive a nail.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

As hard as Oak?

Reply to