quiet nail gun compressor?

Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush compressors and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have been any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my neighbors.

Thanks,

Joanna

Reply to
intuitiveart

Joanna,

You can use a CO2 bottle to shoot nails. You can pick one up at a paintball supply store or a welding supply. I have used a paintball gun canister.

cm

Reply to
cm

Could be your first project could be to build a sound dampening enclosure for your compressor. Here't the time tested (at least by me anyway!) design use when I have to be more quiet on certain jobs.

Make a box out of a sheet of plywood (if you can't cut it, the lumberyard will) that will hold your compressor PLUS some insulation. I make a box, then use whatever I have on hand (usually caulk) for adhesive and glue a couple of layers of foam board on the inside. Make sure you plan your inside dimensions to allow for about 3 - 4" all the way around the compressor minding where you put the compressor inside. The compressor heads will get quite hot if you run it a lot.

I put the door on the front, and hinge the door with some cheap door hinges. BTW, the door is insulated, too. Leave a generous slit in the door so that you can get the power cord and air hose out of the box; keep in mind this will be a vent for the compressor as well. I wouldn't worry too much about heat since you are probably not going to be using this in a manner that will cause it to run a lot. However, you should check it inside after running the compressor for a while to make sure it is no more than a little warm inside the enclosure. If it gets hot, take a break and leave the door open for a while.

On mine, I put a small 2x4 frame on the bottom so I can put some cheap castors on it so I can roll it around.

You will be astonished how quiet this setup will be. Also, the box makes a dandy enclosure to hold your hoses, nail gun and nails if you can keep it in a secure place.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Excellent idea! If I used my little compressor more, I'd certainly be building something like this. I'll just echo the recommendation to have adequate vents (adequate probably being determined by trial and error - it will certainly get warm, but if it seems too hot, drill a couple 2" holes in each side or cut an inch off the bottom of the door). Another variation I heard was to use carpet padding as insulation - around here it'd be free if you look around the day before trash day, or a carpet store/installer might give you some scraps. Also keep in mind that the nail gun itself will make some noise - I have a small 18-ga brad/stapler, and it makes a pretty good 'ka-thunk' when it fires. Don't know if there's any way around this, or if it varies at all depending on the gun. One final recommendation while I'm on the topic - I'd stay away from the off-brand air couplers etc. from harbor freight. I got an incredibly cheap (both inexpensive and cheap) set of various air hose fittings, couplers, adapters, etc. from HF, but the quick-connect fitting leaked. Problem solved when I got a $1.78 fitting from HD instead. So spend the extra few bucks for a name-brand pack of accessories. I did get a "Goodyear" rubber air hose on sale at HF that works fine, though. That's all, Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Paul D

Aside from the excellent suggestions so far, a piston type compressor is traditionally quieter. The CO2 system is really cool, but a bit pricy in set-up. Another thing to pay attention to, stating the obvious, is to make sure all your fittings are top-notch so that useless air consumption is reduced/eliminated. A ball valve between the outlet of your compressor and the quick-connect will isolate the whole deal when not in use. Putting the whole insulated box on tennis balls really helps reduce transmitted noises from the box to the floor. (Use a pipe end flange. screw to the box, one in each corner and insert tennis ball so that half sticks out. Makes for a soft foot to protect your floor too.

PS, "Farm Windows" is fabulous.

Reply to
Robatoy

Might I add that a Cast Iron Oil lubed piston type compressor is quieter. Loud Small direct drive oilless compressors use pistons also.

Reply to
Leon

intuitiveart wrote: ....

Paslode -- see

the compressor altogether.

Reply to
dpb

Yes there are.

I bought one, Senco. PC1010

Also comes as a kit.

Reply to
Eddie Munster

*points at Leon*
Reply to
Robatoy

If you are just shooting finish or brad nails, this compressor is the quietest I've ever seen.

I bought one to use for small trim jobs and am very pleased with it. Lightweight and quiet. I got the micro pinner as well. Nice outfit. --dave

Dave Jackson

Yeah except those are loud and especially in confined spaces.

Reply to
Leon

you want to get a oil filled compressor. there is a huge difference in the noise level.

Reply to
Steve knight

Hey Steve....How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Reply to
Leon

I have one of those. Nice little compressor. I take it with me in the RV in case I need to air up a tire. Comments about the noise of the nailer are important also. My son has a neighbor who complained that he was firing some sort of firearm in his backyard.

Max

Reply to
Max

I have the Hitachi EC12 and the Rol-Air FC2002. Both are oil-lubricated. For use inside the house, I put them in my closet (clothing reduces the sound level) or laundry utility room and shut the door. I can tell when it's running, but it's reduced to a tolerable level.

Reply to
IBM5081

Do a Google search for JunAir. They make extremely quiet compressors. I have a 4 cfm that is packaged like the typical pancake style compressors that are commonly available, but my JunAir runs so quiet that my refrigerator makes more noise. It would be ideal for use in an apartment. No, mine isn't for sale.

Reply to
Charley

not too bad business has been a bit slow. trying to get the infill's done and I keep changing how I make the plow planes. Should have my cnc router later this month. lots to learn but it will bring in other work to my shop so I can make a living.

Reply to
Steve knight

Good to hear. CNC router, cool. I have added a larger planer, a large Laguna BS, and later this week, I hope, a new Performax 22/44 drum sander, and I finally broke down and got a decent dust collector. Life is getting easier in the shop. Merry Christmas.

Reply to
Leon

DeWalt makes both a one gallon (ala the Senco PC1010) D55140, 2.6 amp at

69db and, more recently, a two gallon D55141, 10 amp 79db
. I saw the larger one as a kit a Lowe's. Kit gun was a 15 or 16 gauge and the package was $279 IIRC.
Reply to
New Wave Dave