Help with snow blower

Hi all, we just got a snow blower used, be advised, it is very old, by very I mean from the 40s or 50s at least. It has a Tecumseh or how ever you spell it motor on it. Needless to day, none of the numbers are readable anymore for model numbers, I have a couple serial numbers, I need a muffler for it and am wondering if anyone might be able to help me know what might work, what it is, anything at all, all I can tell you is the muffler is held on with 2 screws, when you take it off it looks like the mount for a Carburetor for a B&S motor but the center hole, the outlet in this case is a little smaller, it's maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch, and the screws I'd say are, maybe

1/4 inch, give or take. I have nothing to go by the muffler is long gone and screws, but not having any money and still not having my hot water issue fixed from last week though I think it will be expensive, we need this snow blower, we'll run it with no muffler if we have to but if we can get one it would be a huge help. It's tough using an antique but the price was right. They paid us to take it and it works great! TIA

Lay a sheet of paper over the muffler hole area and make a "pencil rubbing" like they do on tombstones. Take that to a small engine parts place. Chances are they'll know which one to sell you.

Even Home Depot and Lowes stock a number of mufflers for small engines. Chances are you could return one you bought there if it has the right mounting but happened to interfere mechanically with some other part of the engine.

As for the bolts, just try 1/4-20, 1/4-28 and 5-16/18 bolts in the holes. they are most likely one of those sizes.

Happy New Year,

Jeff (Who's still blowing New England snow with his 1965 Airens, dubbed "The Widowmaker" for it's total absence of safety provisions.)

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
Iowa883