Repair sanding belt??

--I've had a brand new 6" wide sanding belt waiting patiently (probably more than a year) on a hook for the day I need it on my Delta, then I go to put it on and I see it's hung there a little tooooo long: it's now ripped almost completely across! Is there a way to fix this that will last a decent amount of time? --TIA,

Reply to
steamer

In all likelihood, no. BTW, most manufacturers of belts don't warranty adhesives for over a year--after that, you're on your own. I had a (unfruitful, but pleasant and educational) discussion on the subject w/ one of Klingspoors' engineers a year or so ago on the same subject. The adhesives they use are UV-cured but not rated by their manufacturer for over a year, hence the limitation. I've found nothing that will hold from off-the-shelf adhesives. Anybody here that has one, would be interested as well...

Reply to
dpb

Take a look at

have used this technique for years now and it works well, but I buy the belt material on a bulk roll With a precut-premade belt it's unlikely you will have enough slack to join it. I suppose you could always insert a patch with 2 joins?

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

in a roll. Not sure if this would work for a repair tho, as there's no slack to make a diagonal joint. Will give it a try with cloth and titebond, then stand back, heh. I wouldn't want to try it with hot glue though, for fear it might overheat and pop apart. It'd also gum up the works, yes?

--Another good idea, but I haven't got but the one belt. I'll probably wind up using it as a nonskid pad on a worktable!

Reply to
steamer

I don't know of a glue that will work. That said, it is not a god idea to have belts around that long. They get brittle after a year or so and break. I had an old 6x48 come loose and slap me pretty good once. Now, I only buy them if I know I'm going to use them soon.

Reply to
CW