I posted a question a couple of days ago about how to repair the iron
casting on a hand cranked grinder. The casting broke cleanly (two pieces -
no shards or crumbles), but one of the pieces contained the hole for one end
of the shaft. Someone suggested I try a product called JB Weld - "cold
weld" epoxy. The manufacturer claims it can be used to repair the likes of
engine blocks. I liked the idea because it would avoid the use of welding
heat and possible distortion of the shaft bearing member. For $4, I had
nothing to lose.
I cleaned and degreased both halves with Acetone. Then I put them together
with JB weld. I put them together with the shaft in place to ensure
alignment. This stuff takes a long cure time (15 plus hours). It worked
like a charm. The grinder is now back together and turning like a fine
watch. It remains to be seen how it holds up in the long term, but for now
I'm a happy camper.