Hand cranked Rawdrill

Here's one I have never heard of before, a hand cranked Rawplug drill. It uses the old manual hammer Rawlbits, bit in a hand cranked hammer drill.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

How can that work, though many moons ago a tomorrows world item featured a spun up flywheel powered dril which i thought at the time a completely pointless invention. Brian

Reply to
Brian G

The last minute of the video shows it working, rotating the drill bit slowly by use of a hand crank . The video is the restoration of a rusty item back to new involving fully stripping the unit down to the smallest component part and either refurbishment or replacement of parts.

Internally there is a large lump of steel acting as a hammer. A hand crank rotates this hammer via some gears.

There is also a cam like mechanism that moves the hammer forward a little via spring loaded lever arrangement, also operated by a hand crank. The mechanism forces the hammer forward a few times per one revolution of the hammer. The hammer is seemingly moved back again by a combination of the large spring on the lever and the operator pressing the drill into the wall.

Possibly operation is hard work - at the back is a brace so that you can push the drill into the wall with your shoulder.

Reply to
alan_m

Hand crank drives a rachet type mechanisum. As the crank is turned the pawl compresses BFO spring. When the pawl drops off the rachet a system of levers accelerates a large lump of metal that hits the end of the drill bit. Another pawl and rachet from the hand crank rotates the bit 1/4 turn for each blow of the "hammer".

hammer

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Brian G formulated on Sunday :

They cannot have been that effective, because I never came across one. I began in industry, when Rawdrill bits, holders, stardrills and a lump hammer was the only way to drill a hole for a fixing. All on the verge of electric hammer drills being introduced, which reduced the feeling of Popeye arm muscles from all the hammering. They were better, but no where near as good, quick, or effortless as SDS.

There were lots of other methods developed between hammer drills and SDS, one being a self drilling anchor, into which a wedge was fitted one the hole was deep enough, then the Hilti system, firing little explosive cartridges to force a threaded nail in to create the fixing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Really doesn't sound like less effort than using a RawlDrill by hand. Until SDS arrived it was pretty well the only DIY way to drill hard stone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Warm Grit moment - I remember as a spotty yoof using said lump hammer and rawldrill and holder drilling into the bl**dy engineering bricks that our council house was made of. Dad thought it was character building!!!!

Reply to
Jim Jackson

I remember star drills and 'jumpers'. More than once I've made a hole with a chisel rotating it every hammer blow.

Isn't DIY so easy these days.

Reply to
Fredxx

You want to live in Aberdeen - where most houses were built of granite. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I remember selling those when @ 15 I worked for a hardware/ builders merchant.

Mike