Removing separate oven/cooktop questions

I have a honey-do that involves removing an old gas oven from a wall cabinet and a cooktop from a counter, and installing an integrated range. The wall cabinet will be turned into a pantry, and the countertops will be eventually replaced, so a gap in the countertop isn't a major concern.

Can I just remove the oven? I'm guessing there's a ball valve on the gas tap; just shut the valve, unscrew the (I'm assuming) corrugated brass/bronze pipe and haul away. Right?

When removing the cooktop and making room, should I just cut the cabinet at the appropriate width and cut a piece of plywood to fit on the new end of the cabinet? Also, same gas line issues apply, right?

Anything else I should watch out for?

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

If you plan on abandoning the gas line to the oven, don't count on the shut-off valve alone. Put a plug in the valve where you take out the line to the oven. Better yet, remove the line and plug the tee where the line goes up to the oven. This is code in most jurisdictions.

Reply to
Tom H

Thanks, Tom. Didn't know that.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

That will work as you won't really see the new end. The question is where will you have to cut the front and the top? You may have to remove drawer fronts and doors and you may have to cut through stiles and maybe rails. A standard range needs 30" and commercial models may need more. If it's a manufactured cabinet, the current cook top may be set in a 30" cabinet already. If so you may be able to remove the cabinet and cut the top back. Your counter top might also have a small strip against the wall (behind the cook top) that you will probably want to remove also.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Thanks, Mike. It would appear that the current cabinet is a bit wider than 30". I didn't measure, but it looks like 36". I may wind up removing the entire 36" cabinet and building a filler. depending on the size range she wants. These cabinets are ~25 years old, and well constructed. I guess that was before the days of particle board and melamine. *sigh*

Anyway, thanks again.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

Or.....if you really want to get on your Wife's good side, buy her a

36" range. :-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.