It depends on the look you are trying to achieve. You should consider
doing something non destructive.
This would be a pain, but here is a good option to not destroy the
holes (this assumes threaded holes)
1. Find a wood threading kit that matches the threading of the post
2. Thread a properly sized dowel.
3. Screw dowel into receiver. Wax might help
4. Mark a line around base of dowel
5. remove dowel.
6. Cut off at line, removing pencil mark
7. Finish cut off end to match surronding wood, dont finish shaft
8. Let dry
9. Screw back in.
Another option: Put a cork in it, trim flush
Another option: Make a cap piece to match
Another option: Put candles in it (mood lighting)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.