Removing Built-up Linseed Oil

I forgot I had applied boiled linseed oil to an old wood bodied plane, and now the oil has hardened on the surface of the wood. Is there any non-abrasive way to remove the build-up?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Braun

How about:

Laquer thinner Acetone

Use FINE steel wool, and saturate the SW with the solvent. I've used this to CAREFULLY remove paint splops, small areas of bad finish, etc., etc. The solvent is doing most of the work. The SW is just picking up the softened finish.

BTW, I like tung oil better than BLO for finishing. Easy to put on thin coats, and dries more quickly. Less problems, for me at least, with build-up problems..

Reply to
professorpaul

Have them both. Many thanks. I've taken to using the BLO to remoisturize the wood in addition to giving it a finish. Some of these wood planes I acquire are thirsty little devils.

Bill

professorpaul wrote:

Reply to
Bill Braun