rechargeable small screwdriver

looking for recommends for a small rechargeable screwdriver
once in a while i see one in a video and never catch the brand
typically in an electronics video
have at least two of those rechargeable ones for homeowners and they are long dead
cannot bring myself to toss them out just because those motors are so good and torquie
but what to do with them
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 09:26:10 -0700, Electric Comet

I see a lot of them in junk boxes at auction sales I have one - never used :-) in the back of a drawer somewhere.
http://tinyurl.com/ybsuquf7
Apparently the whole world is awaiting the moment that they suddenly rise up, of their own volition, and mysteriously become useful, for once. If you find a good use for the precious little motors - be sure to let the whole world know ... John T.
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 12:57:55 snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

the day you toss it will be the day before the need for it arises

the world rises up or the motor
if the motor rises up on its own that would be interesting same if the world does i suppose since it seems to be in a slumber

they are somewhat precious somehow

you mean twoot it out on tweeter or is it tweester twister tweeter
may turn it into a tumbler for taking paint and rust off old hardware and giving it that lived in look
maybe attach it to one of those high ratio zero backlash pumps for solar power storage
any other ideas
10:47:45 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Of course.
    Now the big question: if you can't find it, or have forgotten you have it - do you "have" one?
    I just found three soldering irons, one still on the card. Because I kept not being able to find any of them.     I moved a work bench. Now I am sorting through all the "stuff" which had been piled, "to be sorted later."     Anyone want a yard light set?
--
pyotr filipivich
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 13:43:44 Keith snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

yep versapack those are the ones i gave up on
hmm maybe they can be remade with a newer battery
On 6/25/2018 1:36 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

If by gave up you mean you could not find the batteries, the versapak batteries are available on line at several sites and available at Walmart for about $18
--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 17:05:55 -0400

maybe the batteries are better now
they seemed to go dead very quickly
would not hold a charge for long enough and i think the prices were much higher
but my memory of those is fuzzy so might be all wrong
On 6/27/2018 7:09 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

As I said in my previous post, I have had me B&D versapak screwdriver for many years. I do not use it daily. My use is sporadic, 15 to 20 minutes every couple of months. I have had two batteries in the about 20 years I have had it. I find that with my usage I need to recharge the battery every 3 to 4 months.
I realize I am a light use, but that information may answer your question about battery life and maintaining a charge
--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 20:34:16 -0400

my experience with two drivers was much different
not holding a charge well and then not taking a charge until it no longer saw use
On 6/24/2018 11:26 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I gave up on those toy screwdrivers years ago. I bought a Panasonic '6220 family 2 speed unit. The original NiCd's lasted a couple years but the replacements made the driver unusable, no reserve and always dead. While surfin the net I found NiMh batteries available that were dropins. The driver has much more torque than when new and the batteries last forever -at least for a garageateer like me. The driver with 2 batteries and a charger was about $100. The new batteries were about $40 for 2. If you want a battery screwdriver to swear at just get one of those cheapies. If you want a nice tool, get one in the $150-200 price range.
Steve
On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 11:26:13 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

About the only purpose I can see for an electric, chargeable small screwdri ver is if you are an electrician and constantly driving in outlet and outle t cover screws. Otherwise an electric screwdriver would not have the torqu e to work. There is a reason electric or chargeable drywall guns are big. They need power to drive screws into wood.

I believe you are too hard on the electric chargeable small (ECS) screw driver. I do a lot of framing, the ECS scree driver is indispensable for attaching the picture in the frame and putting in the screw eyes.
I have used my B&D versapak screw drive to put small screws in would remove screews when disassembling small motors, and many other similar uses.
Of course it will not put a 2" lag screws into a 4X4 but I don't do much of that sort of thing. That is what the drill is for.
--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 4:44:28 PM UTC-5, keith snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrot e:

es.
There are a lot of uses for these small, lightweight drivers. I used to bu ild computers as a hobby (who didn't?) a couple of decades ago, and we took the machines apart so often my partner in crime bought a couple of them. He still builds and works on computers, sets up networks, and all manner of other computer related stuff that requires him to take things apart. He h as about 4-5 in his tool kit. He gets the cheapest drivers he can that wil l do what he wants. At these prices, why not?
https://goo.gl/bVS7om We just had a daughter board replacement in the plasma TV. The guy whips o ut his B&D, takes most of the back off with his little cordless (with an LE D no less), has the board out and replaced in minutes. Like me, he admitte d increasing visits from "old Arthur" and like less wear and tear on wrists and hands.
I have a teeny little Ridgid 12v drill that plays above its fighting weight , but I only use it to hardware out cabinets or when installing a lot of lo ck/latchsets. Drives those machine screws up just fine and the 3/4" plunger and strike plate screws just fine. Won't do the bigger jobs, but then it is lightweight and I can drop it in my nail bags when working.

Yep. Right tool for the right job. When driving lags with a drill, I woul d suggest Ridgid's << 700 in.lbs. torque >> cordless drill, or their newest Gen5 impact drill with a rating of an incredible 2000 in. lbs. of torque.
I just bought both of these, and out of all the drills, drivers, and other spinning devices I have purchased, these things are beasts. They easily ou tperform the previous models of their own line, but I have to say that I am not sure when I will need all that firepower. I worked with DeWalt tools for many years, and quite happily, that had half that horsepower.
But, back to the subject at hand, right tool for the job is the key.
Robert

Hardly, Just about anteing will drive a drywall screw. The trades typically use corded because of the speed.
On 6/24/2018 9:26 AM, Electric Comet wrote: > looking for recommends for a small rechargeable screwdriver > > once in a while i see one in a video and never catch the brand > > typically in an electronics video > > > have at least two of those rechargeable ones for homeowners and they > are long dead > > cannot bring myself to toss them out just because those motors are > so good and torquie > > but what to do with them >
Turn it into a corded screwdriver. Most of those electronics types are sitting at one spot in front of a work bench anyway. If you have a drawer full of them put one at each work bench.
Most of those old things didn't have smart chips yet to prevent you from buying third party batteries.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 18:09:44 -0700

not a bad idea may look at that

smart or evil bad for the consumer and the planet
On 6/24/2018 12:26 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

My favorite is a 12 volt Bosch PS31. It's the perfect size for a cabinet shop and all sorts of small assembly stuff. I actually have 3 of them. Bought two on sale for $99 with 2 batteries and charger, one was an impact driver, so I have 3.
I also have a variety of 18 and 20 volt tail-less but seldom use them.
I had a B&D Versidrill long ago and they were terrible compared to these.
Small is good in a cabinet shop. Not the tool for screwing in a deck or driving a 1000 1/2" lag bolts, but perfect for cabinet assembly, appliance repair etc.
Bosch typically puts them on sale around Christmas in a package for $99.

I had the B&D Versi-drill, chargers and about 5 batteries laying around useless for years. As a bit of a hoarder, I hate throwing anything away, particularly if it works. The drill worked, but batteries didn't. I finally figured out the best use was filler for the garbage can and tossed the lot.
--
Jack
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:36:16 -0400

had not heard of these will look at them

had similar experience

never bought new batteries as i was unimpressed with the battery life and price

Great minds... I have two each, PS21s, PS31s, and PS41s. The PS21s were free, when I bought the PS31/41 combos. I also have two sets of the 18V Bosch drills and impact drivers. The additional set was cheaper than the batteries and charger that came with it.

They're all I use.

NiCd can't compare to LiIon.

They're great for working around the house, too. THey're a lot lighter than 18V tools. They're easy to use over one's head.

Yep! ;-)

Yes. NiCd sucks, all around.