Really?

time.

In 2008, the MAYOR of a Maryland town was brought to Jesus by the local SWAT team. Got their little dogs too.

Reply to
HeyBub

It is awful hard not to Godwin a response.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Markem

In news: snipped-for-privacy@24g2000yqy.googlegroups.com, Robatoy spewed forth:

law, too. F**KIN" BASTARDS need to be charged

Reply to
ChairMan

Tim Daneliuk

But it highlights another problem too. Namely, press coverage (especially internet coverage) with little or no backup information on which to decide. The video looks condemning, and I fully understand the implications discussed so far.

But I know NOTHING beyond the little video and commentary on the webpage.

Do the parents have a prior history of major drug dealing, firearms possession, or child endangerment? Any prior arrests or convictions, or connections with convicted criminals? Did the judge who issued the warrant have adequate justification? Was the use of a SWAT team justified by previous information? Was the child endagerment charge solely related to the pot possession charge, or were the parents also indicted for running a meth lab elsewhere?

I DON'T KNOW. I need to know such information before I can act as juror.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

One pundit asked:

"Do we really want to live in a country where when someone busts into your house at night you're supposed to assume they might be cops?"

HeyBub

I know some fellows who train local SWAT teams, and as a rule they don't hold them in very high regard. Local departments get federal money to equip these teams as part of that enormous ongoing comedy act, The War On Drugs. But they don't get enough training and most of the officers spend most of their time writing traffic tickets and locking up drunks--the SAS they are not. You can see and hear it in this video, that raid is amateur night at the local bar and grill. You can hear one cop yelling to the others to "slow it down" because he knows they're getting excited and messing up, they don't know if the suspect is cuffed yet or not, they're barging around like it's their first time. If it's true they shot at a *Corgi* in addition to the pit bull--well that's pathetic. It also kind of sounds like the child endangerment charge is them and the DA, embarrassed, reaching for something--anything--to justify their Keystone Cops raid.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn the parents are far from innocent. But the cops are supposed to be better than that, when they do a full-on raid with body armor and heavy firepower they had better drag out a few illegal weapons and a steamer-trunk of heinous chemicals, not a misdemeanor amount of weed.

Reply to
DGDevin

to back off... Eh?

I'm sure they never considered that the 7 year-old child might grow up fearing and hating all cops.

It might be a good idea to have the child's hearing tested. If it has been damaged, then the individuals responsible should be held fully accountable for that injury.

I'm also thinking that the people of Columbia might benefit from publishing the names of the SWAT team members - and from finding grounds for retiring the chief, the detective who filed for the search warrant, and the entire SWAT team without pay or pension.

Come to think of it, the names of the "reliable informants" should be published as well.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

And wouldn't it make more sense to wait until the 'suspects' leave the house and arrest them as they exit.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Shooting a Corgi is senseless, I have 30 something(I'd have to count) of these beast and the worst thing they would be guilty of would be slobbering on the swat team in hope of begging treats from them.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

What, a government agency do something that makes sense?!?!?!?! Dream on.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wouldn't it have made sense if Janet Reno had decided to wait for David Koresh to go into town to buy a sixpack?

Reply to
keithw86

When I came back from the service in the early 70's and observed how the local police were being trained in military tactics, my initial reaction was that there was no one to practice their new military skills on but the citizenry.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Robert Sekeris

No partisanship when it comes to the desire to wear jack-boots.

Reply to
Robert Sekeris

I WILL get this right...fargin' gmailcrappola. I figured that I would just change my user name 'Robatoy' to another e- mail addy..but nooooooooooo So let's see what happened here...

Reply to
Robert Sekeris

"Robert Sekeris" wrote

I WILL get this right...fargin' gmailcrappola. I figured that I would just change my user name 'Robatoy' to another e- mail addy..but nooooooooooo So let's see what happened here... =================