Re: Your Thoughts, Input, Advice......?

I got a none of my business question. I was curious. When you say you have been in cabinetry for 20 years, were you an adult when you started or a kid.

I would like to get into cabinet making one day, but am afraid I am too old. I am over thirty, but less than forty. Am I too old? I know I am gonna get flamed for saying that, but I don't know another way to ask. I promise this is not a troll. Can someone "get good" at making cabinets even if he didn't start doing it when he was five and grew up in the trade? Thanks.

I worked with computers and have been since I was 14, and that is where my intuitive skill set is. But I can't say whether I would be as good or not had I started older.

I'm not quite sure that this is the appropriate place to > make this inquiry. If this is off topic, or offends anyone > otherwise, I apologize. > > When people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a > cabinetmaker. > I've been in the architectural woodworking/cabinetry > industry for more than 20 years. > The lions share of that experience being split pretty evenly > between retail fixtures and high end residential work. As > far as my recreational woodworking goes its mostly furniture > making with heavy Arts & Crafts, Stickley, Greene & Greene > influences. > > In the last eight years I've spent much more time in front > of my computer designing/engineering than behind my tablesaw > building. From my perspective, as far as tools go, > computers are a necessary evil. Tablesaws are fun. Even > though I've done quite well a self employed > designer/drafter/engineer, my problem is this: I need more > fun. This begs the question: What's fun? > > One thing that comes through these posts consistently in is > the fun you're having. Most of you realize that for the cost > of a decent used car, say $5k-$6k, you can set up a really > nice home shop and enjoy a pastime that's fun, relaxing, > rewarding, and cost effective too. > > My step father is a retired academic professional and one > heck of a woodworker. His things are Windsor chairs and, > more recently, carving. Two or three times a year he heads > off to some class somewhere that flips his woodworking > switches. Typically he'll spend a thousand to fifteen > hundred dollars on a week long class - and come back jazzed > about the experience. > > It's been suggested that I should consider some sort of > woodworking school that would cater to the recreational, > weekend warrior type woodworker. This makes sense in a > couple of ways since, for me, building is fun and sharing > knowledge is fun. > Fun notwithstanding, bills still have to get paid. How > potentially lucrative could such an endeavor be? Think > about what's spent on golf, or tennis, or cooking lessons > these days. > > Anyone have experiences similar to my stepfather's? Would > you ever consider taking such a class? If so, what are some > of the things you'd like to learn? Also, how much would you > be willing to pay and what would you consider to be value > for your dollar? > > Thanks for your time and input. > > -Mark- > >
Reply to
jm

all you need to get good is attitude (a burning interest in cabinet making), experience (practice, practice, practice), and aptitude (your skills set should include woodworking related things such as the ability to work with your hands, patience, pride in workmanship) . It goes without saying that you also need a place to do it, money for the proper tools and materials, and having the support of a loving woman helps too! :)

Age is NOT a factor, by any means. Don't worry about being in your thirties. You've still got a "few good years" left. (Reminds me of my ex complaining about vet bills for our dog; she said, in all seriousness, that she "had to get a few more good years out of her.") That was at least 2 years ago, so I guess she's gotten her wish.

If you are going to make a business out of it, then you also need some business savvy. Know how to market, how to price (conversely meaning how to buy at rock bottom prices), how to apportion your time between selling and building. How to hire/train employees, if you aspire to be a larger than a one man operation. Prepare for long hours and a period of time when something other than the business is going to pay the bills.

dave

jm wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

What the hell does age have to do with it? Although my body recently celebrated its 40th anniversary of entering that particular decade, my mind is still firmly lodged somewhere back in my twenties.

With regard to attending classes. While the "people experience" would be a big plus, I've always been of the opinion that I could learn anything I didn't already know out of a book, and would rather buy one and spend the big bucks, first on tools, and then on materials to build those projects. I feel I've gained far more experience that way than I would have attending classes.

You'll also notice, with advanced age, that these classes flourish during affluent times, and dwindle in the not so affluent ... but a good book and tools, once bought, can continue teaching for a life time.

Therefore, it you're affluent enough to do both, like your step-father, go for it ... if not, buy a book when you need it, and do likewise.

Reply to
Swingman
****************************************************** I too, consider myself a cabinet maker. All too often when I mention it, somebody will ask me if I could make them some kitchen cabinets out of melamine chipboard. I try to remain calm and not "frow up" all over them.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø

Lord Edgar, how did you get started in cabinet making?

Reply to
jm