Re: Telling hickory from ash

If it dulls the hell out of your tools in a hurry it's hickory. If it splits easily it's probably hickory. If it's hard - really hard it's prpbably hickory.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

My experience with hickory is that it won't split at all. Guess that's why it was used for bows and hammer handles and such.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Miner

Cut a piece on a table saw or bandsaw. If it smells like burning rubber, its ash.

Reply to
BUB 209

While hickory can split easily, ash generally splits much more easily. I've split many cords of wood with hammer/wedges and splitting mauls, and there's nothing I'd rather split than ash.

Known samples of each of the woods is usually the best aid to identification.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957