Re: source needed - steel router bit v-groove

At first I thought about easing a file into the bit while turning, but

> that scared me. I would instead chuck the bit and using a protective > surface on the bottom of the router and file a notch, turn the bit 180 > degrees and repeat. Then change the bit height and do it again until > all the desired notches are in. This would dull that spot so not sure > how well it would cut wood. > > Igor wrote: > > > > I am looking for a source for a steel v-groove router bit. 1/4" shank, 60 degree > > angle, 1/2" diameter. > > > > I want HS steel instead of carbide because I want to deface the cutting

edges so that

> the groove has a rough finish, not smooth. I called MLCS and they very kindly, > > helpfully told me that I cannot do this to their carbide bits -- carbide

pieces would

> break off. > > > > BTW, also welcome would be suggestions as to how to best deface the bit. The result > > I am trying to get is a great number of "steps" -- as if, instead of a bevel, there > > were steps that were each maybe 1/128" high and deep. (_As if_, not actually; I > > don't plan to make exactly that many cuts or space them that carefully.) Any other > > idea as to how to achieve this result would be welcome. A challenge is that this > > ribbed bevel needs to be at the bottom of a straight 7/8" deep channel. > > > > Thanks for any help. > > -- > > Gerald Ross > Cochran, GA > ........................................... > I'm an influential person, > gravitationally speaking. > > >
Reply to
CW

That is a very interesting approach. I realized that I have this old Craftsman (sorry for the spelling) moulding head that holds three blades/knives. It would work, in theory -- it is would cut deep enough, unlike a standard setup on a bench shaper. Maybe I could have knives made for it rather than altering the router bit. Do I look for "Tool Grinders" in the Yellow Pages? Or, does anyone know of an on-line or mail order source for such a thing? I have detailed CAD/dxf drawings of profile.

Thanks.

Reply to
Igor

No luck in the Yellw Pages but having some luck at Thomas Register. I think. Not

100% sure if the companies I am finding are right, but I'll check on Monday. Thanks.

BTW, I also found a company that makes "roughers" and burrs, or some such.

to rough-up surfaces, and they have 60 deg bits, so I could use the standard router bit and then the rougher. That is now Plan B.

Reply to
Igor

How would a molding head work for making a v-groove with lines it? If the groove is just stepped, that would work. But if you want a v-groove with raised lines (or even cut in lines), a molding head won't be able to do that since it doesn't move in the same direction as the material.

Reply to
Kevin P. Fleming

the standard

Reply to
CW

Of course, you are correct. But my original idea -- not actually stated here -- was to approximate many steps. A rough surface would be good enough for the prototype, and a $14 router bit seemed a good way to go. Anyway, I sort of backed into a solution. Thanks.

Reply to
Igor