Re: Sanding indoors

If your sander has the option of being able to attach a shop vac to it... DO IT! I got the attachment for my DW 1/4 sheet sander and it works great! Now, if I could get rid of the dust canister on my PC333 for something similar, I would be set!

Dave.

Paul O. wrote:

Before too long it will be time to start sanding on my aquarium stand. It is > presently in the spare bedroom where I am putting the trim on it. This > sucker is heavy and don't want to move it outside to do some sanding. So I'm > wondering if a box fan with a furnace filter strapped to it will catch the > small dust from sanding if I keep it close to where I working? Thanks.
Reply to
Dave

I use a HEPA filter equipped Shop-Vac with my power sanders and a dust mask when hand sanding.

The box fan WILL NOT work unless you rig some sort of down draft table. Also, most cheaper filters will allow the dust to go right through.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Porter Cable sells a hose to hook your PC333 to a shop vac. I use it all the time. Ted

Reply to
Bigpole

I just built a 75 gallon zoo style aquarium stand out of pine. There was TONS of dust. I doubt a filter would catch it.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

Somewhat. You will still have some dust to deal with. Better to move it to the garage or outside.

Reply to
Phisherman

FWIW -- Use your idea with the fan and filter. Do this on a day when you can open the window, put fan on window sill so dust not caught by fan will go out window. (Yes, you could then skip filter, but depends on what is outside -- and interest in keeping fan clean.) Also, move stand near window, get some plastic sheeting, cheap, and staple it to ceiling in a horseshoe shape to enclose you and stand -- with window/fan at the open end of the horseshoe. Note: Static elec. of plastic will also help catch dust.

Oh -- use appropriate lung protection.

Reply to
Igor

My work shop is in my house (spare room to be exact) I sand daily, I also dust the furniture regularly, but a one time sanding of a piece of furniture isn't (in my opinion) going to be that bad!! Just tell the SWMBO to give you the Pledge and dust the furniture when your are through!

Reply to
CraftySCLady

Thanks! I will run, not walk, out tomorrow and buy one!

Dave.

Bigpole wrote:

Reply to
Dave