Re: Ouch

Not to far from real life. Here's a story from the BBC news website about a guy who shot himself in the back of his head with a nailgun:

Builder survives nailgun accident A construction worker has miraculously survived after six nails were embedded in his skull. Isidro Mejia, 39, was rushed to hospital after his nailgun accidentally went off, shooting nails into his head.

Newspaper reports say doctors at Providence Holy Cross Hospital in Los Angeles had feared for his life when he arrived.

But Mr Mejia is now out of intensive care and doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

Extensive surgery

Surgeons removed the six nails over the course of five days.

"Four of the nails were embedded in his skull," said hospital spokesman Brian Green.

"Another was in his spinal column. Surgeons worked round the clock to take the nails out one by one. "It was a very delicate process and was not completed for five days.

"The neurosurgeon who operated on Isidro could not believe he was still alive.

"With injuries like that, he should have been dead. He has been taken out of intensive care and although still groggy and on medication is expected to make a full recovery.

"His wife and family are obviously delighted that he survived and are looking forward to getting home," he said.

According to the reports, police have launched an investigation. However, they believe it was a bizarre accident.

"His colleagues said Isidro was using a nailgun that has both manual and fully automatic settings," said deputy sheriff Dan McPherson.

"It appears he slipped and fired into his skull."

See the story with picture at:

Weldon Wilson

[snip] Accident? Sounds like the worst case of attemped suidide I've ever heard of. j4
Reply to
jo4hn

I think you nailed it.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Well, if it was a suicide attempt, you have to admire the guy's persistance. If at first you don't suceed... :-)

Reply to
Weldon Wilson

All right!! Everybody back to work! Nothing to see here!! Move along!! There'll be no more bad nail gun puns today!!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Looks like this guy was using a Makita AF502 (best brad nailer made) but didn't read the manual first. It can be set to auto fire without having any contact with the work surface. Great for mouldings.

RB

Weld> Not to far from real life. Here's a story from the BBC news website

Reply to
RB

really shouldn't laugh, I had a brad catch a knot and in bed through the nail and into my thumb that was about 8" away from the impact site.

James

RB wrote:

Reply to
James

Do you remember this one a coupla years ago??

Lawrence L'Hote

James wrote in news:dTdmc.35472$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

I HATE it when that happens. Then you have to explain to everyone at the office why your finger is bandaged like Tim Taylor.

Patriarch, who had just such an incident with a Porter Cable 2" 18 ga last summer, and had to wear the bandage for just a week or so. I was very lucky there was no permanent damage.

Reply to
patriarch

He did succeed the first time. But the cat came back ....

Accident kills construction worker North County Times VISTA ---- A carpenter who was injured in a construction accident is dead, a medical examiner's investigator said Sunday. Isidro Mejia, 40, of Riverside, died about three hours after a wooden crate fell on him Friday morning at the Meridian Estates construction site in the 600 block of Mimosa Avenue, investigator George Dickason said.

"He was standing on a wooden crate on the platform of a forklift," said Dickason. "He fell off the crate and the crate fell on him."

Officials said at the time that the crate weighed about 100 pounds and it fell about six feet.

Mejia was taken to Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, where he was pronounced dead at 1:34 p.m. Dickason said Mejia is survived by his wife, Ruth.

glugg

My query is how the heck did he get the nails in the /back/ of his head? Sounds more like someone else did it to him. Maybe he bought the nailer without asking SWMBO first.

Reply to
Xane T.