Re: OT - Imagine If

But what if there was also a Good Samaritan article every

> day?

Not exactly a G/S article, but the following is a letter to the editor I wrote to a small town newspaper back in Ohio after my mother died.

It was an attempt to provide info about local nursing homes to others who may need it suddenly, but may not have had the time to prepare.

Yes, it was published.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ An open letter to the citizens of Wayne County.

After graduating from Wooster High School in 1955, I left to pursue my fortune; however, my parents remained.

My father died many years ago, but my mother continued to make her home in Wayne County until her death at 103, on 2008/06/28.

The last 17 months of her life were spent as a resident of either Smithville-Western Care Center or the Wayne County Care Center.

Both of these facilities kept me updated on my mother's condition, at least weekly, if not more often.

These days I make my home in Southern California, so that meant a lot of long distance telephone time.

These organizations did a great job.

Many nursing homes have not, in the past, gotten high marks for the service they provided.

There have been many "horror" stories told about the industry in the past.

Such is not the case for Smithville-Western Care Center or the Wayne County Care Center.

The people of Wayne County can be very proud to have both these facilities located here.

Regards,

Lew Hodgett Whittier, Ca

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm sure you're right in everything you've said, but I think it's always been that way. I remember my father once telling me that *his* father had a similar opinion about the younger generation and their "liberties" and how the world was going to hell in a hand-basket.

Maybe it's going to end in absolute anarchy somewhere down the line, but it might also end up as simply a new way to deal with everyday life.

Reply to
Upscale

I read a rant once, complaining that "youth now-a-days" lacked any respect or wisdom. The author beleived that, if the trend continued, civilization was bound to fall. The rant sounded identical to complaints that I had heard all my life.

Well, he was Pliny the Elder.

So maybe we're all worng. Maybe it only seems that way to older people.

On the other hand, Rome did fall ...

Rick Corey

Reply to
Rick Corey

"Rick Corey" wrote

Precisely!

Reply to
Swingman

...well, 400 years after Pliny the Elder checked-out. Socrates was also known to not favor the "new" generation, 400 years or so before Pliny...hey, they both missed some good stuff, eh?!

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh