Re: OT: Florida Traveler Advisory - Bushnell, FL

Good Warning.

Post a copy to snipped-for-privacy@yahooGroups.com!

But, a little less verbose would be much better!

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

If you can't READ road signs and obey the law you shouldn't be driving !!!!!!

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Well, it's not looking good that I'll make it to 66, but I've resisted the overwhelming temptation to break the legs of a number of really scummy, lying, perfidious, manipulative, drug-deal-financing lawyer types who richly deserve it. After 20 years, Karma eventually took care of most. But there is still time to turn a few personalized ash baseball bats... ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
GregG

Same area? (You just can not make this stuff up)

Robatoy

That's what I thought. Hang in there!

Then there's the bucket file ...

Reply to
LDosser

Joe saw " Two Big "NO U TURN signs !!!

Jerry and I did too !!!

Jerry - OHIO

I don't know that one...

Is that a file you use to make/shape buckets, or a bucket you store rasps and files in, or...?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

(unless one owned an orange grove) seemed to be alcoholism and stripping. And apparently many embrace racism, ignorance, high speed pursuits, wife beating and burning trailer parks. On the coast, many embrace insurance fraud, massive unsustainable over development, and venal politicians. And after the Jeb years, massive unemployment and total implosion of the ballooned housing market.

The day I moved to Tampa from Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra I was subjected to non-stop coverage of Hank Carr:

this guy:
this:
population was warned not to go outside as helicopters regularly flew overhead spraying Malathion over the city of Tampa and surrounding orange groves to control fruit flies.

And of course, the 2000 election where people were forced from polling locations and prohibited from voting due to manufactured felon voter hit lists. I left Florida and moved to NJ in a hurry after witnessing that (and a few other things I won't get into here). Thank you, Katherine Harris and all the other ignorant, thieving NeoCons of S.FL. And Up Yours, Jeb Bush.

I hear people refer to California as the land of fruits and nuts? Ha! I moved for the ocean and diving and boats. This is what I got!

After this last trip, and some very suspicious occurrences in Key West and Naples concerning the Mayor of Key West and his relatives, and a huge fire on Duval street, I'll never set foot in the state again - and I have a few unfortunate relatives who live there (on the coasts).

And a parrot? WTF?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

The file of stuff you want to do if you get the news you'll kick the bucket in a year or so. Was a movie by that name. Haven't seen it, but I appreciate the sentiment ...

Reply to
LDosser

You read Carl Hiaasen? Highly recommended.

Reply to
LDosser

Yes, indeed. I have several of his books on my bookshelf. He has a way of capturing the darker underbelly of the insanity that is Florida. I consider him Florida's latter day John Steinbeck - perhaps only because I read Stormy Weather and Cannery Row in succession.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Doh! I get it now. I'll look for the movie on Netflix.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I appreciate Nicholson and Morgan Freeman and it's now on order.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

My all time favorite character is the one eyed, former governor!

Reply to
LDosser

upscale

Ah, yes. Skink, the one-eyed, road-kill eating hermit environmentalist and ex-governor of the state who lashes himself to posts during a Cat5 hurricane. See what Florida politics will do to you?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Heh!

It seems as if you have an objection to apparent skullduggery on the part of state government officials.

So you moved to New Jersey (?).

You left a state with no income tax for New Jersey? New Jersey has the highest property tax in the nation and the second highest income tax. These taxes, coupled with sales taxes, inheritance taxes, etc., make New Jersey the highest-taxed state in the nation. Since 2000 (the year when things went really bad, according to you, in Florida), an estimated 250,000 people have LEFT New Jersey. This outflux has been offset by: a) People fleeing even worse conditions in New York City, and b) Fools.

The largest employer in the state is the state itself! Still, residents of the Garden State can hold their heads high, secure in the knowledge, that, well, at least they're not Michigan.

Look in the back of "New Jersey" magazine (available at the check-out line in your local market). Most of the ads in the back are for people willing to relocate themselves or their business to Pennsylvania or Connecticut.

Next Tuesday is an election for governor. The Newark Star-Ledger took the John Galt position and endorsed neither the Democrat (Corzine) nor the Republican (Christie).

Reply to
HeyBub

I knew someone there. And stayed slightly less than a year. Don't live there now - and certainly didn't live anywhere near Newark. Got tired of road blocks, yahoo employers, the woman, and ticks.

You should add a third group - c) people fleeing Killadelphia. As I left in the fall of 2001, the farms of south Jersey were being razed by McMansion developers who sold to those who worked in Philly but wouldn't live there anymore.

THAT I can empathize with... I got Whitman. The state I live in now is seeing an influx of people fleeing Newark.

800 miles away and less crime... But they're bringing it with them - in the form of their relatives who get into trouble at home and flee to hide out with relatives. Oh, Joy!

I considered New Mexico or Seattle or Portland at the time, but am looking towards the dark side of the moon at this point. ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I can sympathize. I'm in Houston and we got a LOT of scrots, mopes, squints, and assort effluvia from the Katrina evacuation of New Orleans. It was grim for a while, but the immigrants managed to kill each other off with some regularity while the survivors got a Texas justice reality check: "Whatchew mean I can't be moseyin' thru my 'hood with a malt and a toke?"

Reply to
HeyBub

Have you ever traveled? I mean outside the US. If so, where?

RicodJour