Re: One legged milking stools (long)

The thread on the Duke got me thinking about learning here and that got

> me thinking about milking stools. And I got to wondering how many > people here even know what a milking stool is, let alone seen one. And > I don't mean those new ones that will never see the inside of a barn or > come within a mile of a cow except maybe when it goes from the store to > someone's house. When I was a kid I used to visit my great uncle and > great grandfather on their farm. They used a milking machine but > "stripped" the cows after using it. "Stripping" a cow is when you milk > it by hand to get the last of the milk, that the machine didn't get. > You sat on a three legged stool (most milk stools were three legged, I > never saw a four legged milking stool), held a stainless steel bucket > between your legs and stripped out or milked the last of the milk, often > several quarts. You didn't want to try to get all the milk with the > machine, it would probably not be good for the cow at all. You ALWAYS > tucked your head down and into the cow's side if you were smart. The > cow's tail was normally moving, and it often was coated with a wad of > manure. Unpleasant to get whapped in the face with the end of the cow's > tail, but in winter when it froze up it could be actually dangerous. > Sometimes the cow would be restless and kick the bucket over, and > somtimes the milker too, so you had to be ready to move fast (and if you > think it a joke about milking a cow with cold hand, just try it once). > You would have to (try) stand and move back at the same time because you > not only didn't want to land on the floor, but you might go back and > startle the cow behind you and get stepped on. This meant you had to > avoid the milking stool at the same time. All of the stools I saw were > homemade and wood except one, it was a small metal stool, and I believe > that it was three legged, so was probably a factory made milking stool. > One was made of a section of tree, cut off just below the crotch where > three limbs sprouted, making the legs. There were one or two more > homemade three legged stools too. And then there was a one-legged > milking stool. Now I know there is so much BS on the group that you > think I am trying to spread some too, but I am not. Oh, all of the > stools had cloth patdding on the top also, again homemade. The > one-legged stool was a short section of 2X4 with a round top nailed on, > and the padding. You slid it under you as you squatted down and then > balanced on it. Much easier to do than it sounds. Actually I believe > this was a purpose made stool. Any cow will move and knock over the > pail or occassionally kick, because of a fly or whatever. But some cows > are kickers. For these they put on cow hobbles, so they could not kick. > But while they couldn't kick they would often shift and knock you over. > So for the cows that were known to cause trouble they used the one > legged milking stool. Because with this one they had to be more alert, > to keep from falling over, and if they had to jump back, the stool > immediately fell over, and was much easier to kick out of the way, to > keep from tripping on it. Now that is the only one legged milking stool > I have ever seen or even heard of. I don't really consider myself that > old, but I knew people that were born in the 1800s (grandparents, great > grandparents) and now here I am in the year 2000, and that spans over a > century. Besides learning to milk a cow, I have helped shoe horses, > driven a team while haying (they forked the hay onto the wagon using hay > forks - the hay had previously raked into rows, with a hay rake). I > have also helped hay where they had a machine beween the tractor and the > wagon (don't recall the name) that picked up the hay (again, the had had > been raked into rows) and dumped it on the wagon, and the hay then had > to be distirbuted using hay forks. I helped harvest corn with an old > horse corn binder towed by a doodle bug (anyone rember what those > were?), it shocked the corn. Later we chucked the corn by hand. Have > also shelled corn with a hand cranked sheller. I remember helping > cutting fire wood with a large circular saw, powered by a belt driven by > a wheel on the side of a tractor. I remember chopping silage in a > machine powerd the same way. I remember when we would get up at 4:00 in > the morning to go the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan > to go deer hunting, and the trip took 8 hours, if we were lucky. Now > the same trip takes 2 hours or so. One winter we took along a trailer > load of pallets my grandfather had cut like a puzzle. We put up a cabin > from them in one day and slept in it that night. The next day covered > the outside with tarpaper. It remained in use for 20+ years just like > that. A few years after that was built my grandfather got a bunch of > logs to build a log cabin. They had air dried in what was supposedly > the largest barn in the world (believe me, that thing was huge), and all > were like cork screws. He just sawed them into about 2-3 foot lengths, > put them between rough sawn 2X12 joists and put up a cabin. As far as I > know it is still in use. Anyway, here is some stuff on milking stools, > etc., for those of you who are not familiar with them and a "milking > stool" you can make. > This is a picture of what is supposedly a milking stool. >
This is more like a real > milking stool, not sure what the handle is for though because I never > saw a milking stool with one, a lot fancier than a real one too. >
This is a bit more realistic. >
Scroll down to hobbles > and you will see there actually is such a thing. Not sure what the cow > kick stop is though.
> Some varieties of cows (a lot). >
Scroll down to cow > hobbles for a picture.
And > a little story on milking.
> For those unfamiliar with them, this is one type of butter churn. >
Sroll down to milking stool > to see a real one. A lot of other neat stuff here too. >
And now, scroll down to a > couple of antique ones for sale. >
> And at long last, the Lund Viking stool and how to make one. This is > how many milking stools were made. Probably in the old days they were > taken back in the house and used their too. >
> > > JOAT ___I specialze in non-specializing.___ > We used to get much better history in the old days. > > Clinton/Gore jokes
> Read the FAQ
> Check the archives

I know It's 16 years old post and most of the links you have provided are expired ! my quick question is - I wanna make one legged milking stool! help me :)

Reply to
hirenpanchal47

JOAT has not posted here in a long time, do a google search (or your prefered search engine on) would probably be more fruitful.

Reply to
Markem

hubops

I am just two months away from 80. I grew up in Montana and my parents had many friends on ranches which we frequented. I saw many one leg stools. They were made from what was at hand and a spike or two.No padding. Usually a rough cut 2X4 on top with either an other 2X4 for the leg or a cut off from a pine pole. CP

Reply to
MOP CAP

I used one as a kid. Home made and had a belt harness to strap it on so you could move around without having to carry the stool from cow to cow.

Here is a simple one without a harness. OK for looks, but not easy to use if you are actually going to be milking cows.

Jerry O.

Reply to
JerryOsage

replying to hubops, tortugato wrote: This chair--how off topic--has 2 visible legs, and looks to be some kind of male nudist's stool.

Reply to
tortugato